Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-1209

I have a 46-1209 that has been in the family since new. The radio has faded to the point where it no longer works but the phono plays strong with a small humm. What do i look for to fix the radio and get rid of the humm the code is 121, Thanks

Usually the hum is from the main filter capacitors failing. It is pretty straightforward replacing these. I have a chassis for this radio if you find you need parts...
Eric

All of the paper and electrolytic capacitors must be replaced for optimum results.

Most likely, bad electrolytics are causing your hum as Eric said. Leaky paper caps are probably the reason why the phonograph still produces sound but the radio does not work.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you for the replies. Where do you get the parts and what do i need to get ?

The first thing you need, assuming you are familiar with schematic diagrams and how to safely work on a vintage radio, is the schematic diagram/service information for your radio.

You should start here for that:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/schematics.htm

Many sources of parts...the least read page on my website:
http://www.philcoradio.com/resource.htm

Finally, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If you are not familiar with the proper and safe ways of working on vintage radios, please get someone to help you. High voltages abound in old radios when the set is on; and you could be killed if you do not know what you are doing. (Hint: Never work on an old radio when it is plugged in!)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you all for the information. Would i have to replace the metal cans also ? I have some spare parts from a 46-1226 code 122 can i use the cans from that ?

If by metal cans you mean the electrolytic capacitors, then no, you should not use old electrolytics from another radio that will be just as bad as the ones in the set you are working on. Use new electrolytics.

But if you refer to other components such as IF transformers, then again, the answer is no as the old ones are usually OK. In fact IF transformers in old radios generally made before 1950 seldom go bad. Yes, they do go bad on occasion, but fortunately, a bad one is the exception rather than the rule.

The later IF cans in 3/4" square containers are a problem all their own, however. But these are not applicable to the 46-1209, so I shall not go into a discussion of them here.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you so much for all the help. I am going to get the parts after xmas. I am looking froward to hearing that radio work again.

can anyone tell me exactly what caps i need to get ? I know they have different ratings and have to go in the way they came out but i'm not sure what sizes to get. Thanks to all

Well, you will need the service info for your radio, including the schematic and list of parts.

Ask Chuck about a schematic for your radio.

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/schematics.htm

Now as to the individual paper and electrolytic capacitors, you will do well by buying the caps of the specified values in uF - but rated at 600 or 630 volts for paper caps, 450 volts for electrolytics - even though the parts list will call out paper caps rated at 200 or 400 volts DC, to make life simpler, just go with the 600 or 630 volt ratings instead.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Chuck's schematics and service info are excellent. I recommend very highly!