Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco's most expensive radio

What was Philco's most expensive(in cost) radio that they produced?

On that note what was the most you have ever paid for a Philco radio before the repair cost?
I am sure there are some good stories of radios gone bad out there.

Just curious Icon_lol
Chris

I can think of two right off: Model 16CPX and Model 509X. Both cost $600 when new.

Model 16CPX, a 1933-34 model, was a limited edition chairside radio with separate speaker. It was trimmed in not only exotic veneers, but also stainless steel and Catalin. Only 75 were made, and I've never seen or heard of one, so I wonder if any still remain. If so, it would surely be the rarest of all Philcos.

The following year, Philco offered Model 509X; a large floor model radio-phonograph containing a Model 201 High Fidelity chassis. 500 of these were made; they turn up every now and again so it appears that several examples of this model have survived.

I do my own repairs, but the most I ever paid for a Philco was $455, and I'm not sure I would ever do that again. I tend to be more of a "bottom fisher" that takes pity on poor derelict sets and tries to bring them back to their former glory, such as the 66-S I picked up earlier this year.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron there is nothing wrong with being a "catfish" (bottom dweller) some radios with a little elbow grease turn out looking like the high dollar ones. Most I have paid is $190 for a 38-2 because it is a rarer set and I wanted it, should have done the buy it now and would have saved myself about 40 dollars. Click the link and it shows it before and during restoration.

Oh, I see nothing wrong with bottom fishing, either. It's quite the thrill to take a dilapidated old hulk of a defunct set and make it look and sound like new again.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I'd have to include myself in the "bottom feeder" crowd. Wouldn't have it any other way. Icon_smile

The most I've ever paid for ANY radio (in the context of this hobby) was $110 for a T-O (D**n Zeniths! Icon_lol ). And it's a steep drop off from there to the next one.

As far as Philcos go, every one of them (somewhere between 15 and 20 over the years, don't have the data in front of me) I got for about $60 or less each. The average is probably around $25-$30, the most was a 620 for $60, the cheapest was my $5 flea market special 42-122 (in the "latest Philco save" thread), and one was for free, a 39-36 that was rescued from the scrap heap of a local museum with a great cabinet with the original finish, a perfect speaker, and a stripped out chassis. After putting it back together again, I gave it to my parents, and they're enjoying it very much.

To me, looking for the bargain that can be brought back to life is the essence of the hobby, and I'm sure I'm not the only one with that theory. And I'm always looking for the 70 cathedral at the bargain basement price (aren't we all?). Icon_lol

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

The speaker for the chairside that Ron alluded to above just sold on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/5843060051

Kind regards,
Terry
http://home.comcast.net/~suptjud/
"Life is simpler when you plow around the stump."

Oh, that wasn't a 16CPX speaker, else I'd have been all over it!

That speaker cabinet was intended for a Model 14LZX, as it had two speakers inside. The same cabinet was used as the satellite speaker for the later Models 14RX, 16RX, 17RX & 18RX - but those used only one speaker inside.

Really neat, and John got a bargain, I think. Those speaker cabinets are hard to find.

I'll post a picture of the 16CPX outfit later, maybe a 509X also just for fun. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here's Model 16CPX. I forgot to mention above that this was Philco's special "Century of Progress" model, demonstrated at the 1933 Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1933c.htm#g

And here's a 1935 Model 509X.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1935b.htm#i

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I to bottom feed!!!!! There is no better way to learn how these old beauties work then to find the "dogs" to repair and restore... I am also a gluton for punishment in my taste in cars.. Having a '35 Olds, '28 chrysler.. you think radio parts are hard to find??? hahaha