Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39-7 Antenna Help

Hello,
I am new to radio restoration. I picked up a beautiful 39-7 recently. This set has 6 preset channels. I have replaced all of the caps and the tubes are good. This set does not have an antenna loop. It has two wires for an external antenna. I have bought a very long wire and hooked it up to one of the leads but I don't get any reception whatsoever. I just hear static throughout the dial I live in a major metro area and here are many strong AM signals. What am I doing wrong? All radios I have restored so far have had antenna loops so I have never had a reception problem.
I have been playing with tuning the antenna coil and 6 button capacitors for days and I get nothing. Can someone help me?

Hi and welcome to the Phorum,
On the 39-7 it has two wires coming out of the rear edge of the chassis one being the ant connection and the other being the gnd connection. There is no loop antenna. Requires an external antenna.  It also has a row of pushbutton for presetting stations. I had one of these sets back in the 80's in a chairside cabinet. Think the pushbutton all the way to the right engages the manual tuning, if any of the others are depressed it's set to receive on that preset frequency.

So things to check, end pushbutton is engaged, pushbutton contacts are nice and clean, check for rotted rubber wire that maybe shorting and that you have a piece of wire hooked up for the ant.

Do you have a signal generator??

My recollection of the set is it was a good player with good sensitivity. Wish I still had mine. http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1939a.htm#f
Here is the service info for it:   http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013301.pdf

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Terry thanks for your reply. When the pushbutton for manual is engaged it seems to be worse, meaning that I don't even hear static. If all push buttons are out at least I can get fairly loud static.I have played with each push button cap (there are capacitors with screws and little pieces of mica in between), all intact. I have a 1938 Grunow sitting right next to it, also with just a couple of external wires for an antenna (no loop) and that gets stations just fine with my external antenna wire. I wish I had a signal generator. Yes there are many rotted rubber wires. I don't think there are any shorts I've gone over this set carefully, but I could be wrong.

I cleaned the contacts for the pushbuttons by spraying some WD40 and the set works loud and clear!! Thank you so much!

EEEEEECK!!!!!
You may want to reclean your pb assembly with contact clean rather than wd-40. WD-40 leaves an oily film that may not be so good for the phanalic sp parts. Never use it any part that has HV on it. Have set blaze a few band switches over the years. It's pretty spectacular but a real pita to fix!!
If you are a type A personality you'll be removing the power transformer and replacing the rubber coated wire on it and with quick spray of black paint on the shells.. If you are you are like just put a 300ma fuse in the line cord and call it done.

Glad to hear it's up and running!

ps Is the Big Broadcast still on down there on 88.5FM Sat and Sun nights?

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hmmm ok I see what you are saying. I will try to get the WD40 out of there and pick up some contact cleaner. I'm not familiar with that radio program. I'll look for it tonight.