Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-295 rubber wire

What type and gauge wire should I use to restore this radio??
Thanks

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

See this thread:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=14959

(10-10-2016, 01:26 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

See this thread:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=14959

Thanks, found it right after I asked my question. I appreciate the response though.
Question, is there a heat shrink better than the others or radio shacks multi colors will do??

I've never used Radio Shack's heat shrink other than their black. I've bought the colored heat shrink from Justradios.com

It takes a little longer to get to you because it comes from Canada and has to go through the boarder crossing routine. Other folks may chime in with their suppliers.

Heat shrinkable to me is a remedy for cases when nothing else works. Like a rubber wire going into a potted transformer or a coil.
In chassis, point to point, I would re-wire what I could.
Typically AWG 20 is a pretty universal gauge; in large radios where tubes use lots of current for filaments, like 2-5A strictly for those I would use AWG18.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(10-10-2016, 04:49 PM)morzh Wrote:  Heat shrinkable to me is a remedy for cases when nothing else works. Like a rubber wire going into a potted transformer or a coil.
In chassis, point to point, I would re-wire what I could.
Typically AWG 20 is a pretty universal gauge; in large radios where tubes use lots of current for filaments, like 2-5A strictly for those I would use AWG18.

I'll certainly use that advice Morzh. 
Questio: would you use solid or stranded wire??

Either one is fine. Obviously stranded will take a bit more abuse if flexed repeatedly. Not that it is often the case.
Solid forms better when you need it to follow a certain route, keep the shape and not buckle.
matter of preference for me.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.