Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco RP-1 restoration Chronicle

I thought I had posted a topic on this but I guess not...

I purchased this off eBay last year and started restoring it. It then sat for 6 months when I got frustrated...
I stripped it and was trying to get the colors right but it was not working...

On the final coat of toner I slipped and got runs...

Today I decided to get it done.. I stripped it this morning but before I go and start toning. What do you guys think are the best colors?
 I had ex dk walnut on the bottom half and perfect brown on the top...
It just seemed too dark and to red...

It got dented and stuff while sitting in the workshop so I will have to try and iron out the dents...

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Here was the first attempt at color.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

I flocked the platter too

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

STrip IT!

This is where I am now...

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk

I was just looking at Mohawk's color chart. I really wish they had pictures of their toners as they actually appear on wood...

Anyway...

My suggestions are (Ultra Classic, not Tone Finish):

Perfect Brown for the top part. Just enough darker than Medium Walnut that it should be a good match for the original, based on the picture in your first post in this thread.

For the sides...hmmm...that's another story. You need something darker than Perfect Brown but not as extreme as Extra Dark Walnut (which would be too dark). This is where I wish someone had experimented before me, but I'm not aware of anyone who has.

So...based on Mohawk's color chart...perhaps Dark Walnut, Dark Red Walnut, or Dark Walnut/Oak. Cans aren't that expensive...buy one can of all three, try them all on a piece of scrap wood and see which one matches best?

P.S. What was wrong with your first attempt? In the pictures, I thought the top part looked OK...as you know, you can always spray darker toners over lighter toners for the sides...You had mentioned runs. Were the runs in the sides, or on the top? If just the sides, then you could have sanded and tried, tried again...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I like to start over when mistakes are made. If I took some time to try and fix runs and uneven coating then sand through it by accident I would be really mad so I just strip and start over... I want it uniform and it was not.. I think I have the colors you mention but the 3015 walnut oak toner has red in it. I dont really see red in the original job. The 7020 walnut has no red...
I will just test them and strip if necessary.. Wood is forgiving...Thankfully, Icon_lol

Thanks for the help Ron.

As of 1/01/2021

Acked on the red. Like I said previously, it's so hard to tell from Mohawk's crappy color sample pictures.

Edit: As an example, there's Maison Brown (0004). It looks medium-darkish brown in their color chart, but in reality it is an extremely dark red that turns almost black after the second coat. When I stripped my 42-761EZ cabinet a few years ago, I found that Philco had used an even darker version of Maison Brown due to the deep red that became evident as I stripped the black areas of the cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Kirk 
That looks crappy let me have it 
I know some one who will fix it for me Icon_mrgreen

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I would but I just got a box FULL of cartridges in the mail  Icon_e_surprised Icon_crazy

You said you wanted the RP-2 without a lid. This is an RP-1

Now I have to go out to the cold shed and start rebuilding carts at night and doing cabinets during the day...
ACK!

As of 1/01/2021

>I would but I just got a box FULL of cartridges in the mail  [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...prised.gif] [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi..._crazy.gif]

So you going to put it out of it's misery?????

After soliciting your advise via are last email I ignored it and I decided to strip it any way.
It was that seductive orange stuffs fault!!
Under the green there was white too. Ended up having the scraping the wht off
with a snap blade knife. Messy!!!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Don't forget to rebuild one for me while you're at it..    Icon_angel

Kirk
Boy are you fussy 
Too hot now too cold 
And it was a very tiny box  Icon_mrgreen

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Terry, A blade?? really!

Bret.... If these come out good I will of course do yours.
Sam.. Cartridges are small.. Lots of them fit in a "Very tiny box"  Icon_evil 
Next time keep the cartridges apart.. They multiplied from the last time, Icon_lol

Me

As of 1/01/2021

Today was prep day.
I gave the cabinet a once over and steamed out any dents I could.
I then block sanded the top flat and then washed down the whole cabinet with mineral spirits..
I may fill one or 2 dents that are annoying me but the cabinet is ready for toner tomorrow..
Then I just have to recap it, rebuild the motor and do the cartridge...

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Toning.. 
5 coats of medium Walnut but not good enough and too red.. 5 coats of dark walnut did it for me...
Picture is 3 coats of Dark walnut.. I added 2 more after pic.. Tomorrow I will tape off the top and tone the ex dk base..
I should be recapping the chassis but am working on the bar right now.. STILL cleaning it! SOOOOO DIRTY! 

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021