Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Console Identification - HELP

Was cleaning out my grandfathers garage and came across this in the back. Nobody even recalls ever seeing this before. From the gallery here is appears to be mid-late 30s, but I can't find an exact match. Just love the lines on it.

I plan on restoring it. Should be a fun project!

Hi and welcome to the group,

Doesn't look to be a Philco cabinet but the dial bezel is from a 37-60/61 or so. Better to take a pic of the back to see the chassis. That will be more telling.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Interesting... Not that you couldn't fake it easy enough, but there is a philco label on the front. The components have philco tags too. I'm sure after 90+ years, a Frankenstein here and there shouldn't be surprising. We see it with antique tractors all the time.

Thanks!

Take a closer look at the decal in your photo. Philco cabinets were built to high standards. They would not have put their name on their console and NOT centered it on it. To me it looks like a working chassis needed a home and this cabinet was found and cobbled together. Just my opinion... others will probably chime in as well. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hi,

Interesting cabinet...but it is not an original Philco design.

It looks like it was done fairly well. My guess is that this was originally a console cabinet from some other radio manufacturer, to which someone who was very handy with wood cut and installed a new front panel, drilled to fit the 37-60 chassis.

The speaker is not original. I would further guess that this 37-60 was originally in a cathedral or tombstone cabinet, and later installed in this cabinet.

Who knows, perhaps one could get a PHILCO decal from the Philco distributor back then. It's certainly possible.

Are there any labels inside the cabinet, possibly for some other radio brand/model?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Farmall man,
that is a very well done set someone did nice job !

Sincerely Richard