Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 91b Speaker Back Drop

I'm not sure if that's what you call it, but I just recently aquired a 91b. All looks OK for restoration, but it needs that board, cardboard thing that fits on the speaker mounting that covers the hole. Does anyone make repros of this? Seems they would be easy to make if not. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Hi Gary

There was someone selling grille cloth backing boards for various Philco models on eBay earlier this year. But I haven't seen any of those lately.

You can make your own from the matting material used in picture frames. I bought a large sheet of this from Michael's a couple years ago, and that large sheet will eventually yield dozens of backing boards. I've made three so far, with lots of material left.

That having been said, yes, you can do it. If you have a Model 71B, 43B, 44B, 16B...the backing board is the same, and any of those may be used as a template to make a new one.

And when you have the board cut, you will want the 70/90 pattern grille cloth from Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters or Radio Daze, in whiskey color.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks again, Ron. I took a look at some of the other Philco cathedrals in my collection and sort of came to the same conclusion. I was going to trace the backboard of my 71, but now that you mentioned the 16b (I still have it), I'll go for that. This was one of those gotta have it deals that found it's way into my possession via today's ARCI meeting. It pays to show up early. It was too good a deal to pass up. Another item I'll need is the dial scale. There's only bits and pieces of the old one. I'm sure (?) there are repros available for that model. When done, this is going to be a beauty.

Thanks again for your response and taking the time to help out. Have a nice holiday.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU