Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 19, code 126?

I got the 51-532 going nicely, my Philco 59 turned out to have two bad secondaries on the PT, so I'm turning my hand to this 19 while I think about whether or not I want to try to replace a PT on that little footprint. It doesn't look much like the Code 128 on the schematic I got, but it does look like the 89/19 on page 49 (3-33) in Volume 3 of Ryder's. The Ryder's version lacks a parts list, but I can probably put it together from the schematic and parts map. On/off switch is on the band switch? Weird. So my 19 is a code 126 then?

Charlie in San Antonio

Hi Charlie,

Attached is a copy of Service Bulletin No. 146 for Model 89 and 19. It should have a lot more complete info than Riders. From a quick look at the diagram on the first page it looks quite similar to the picture of your chassis.

Even better, there's Ron's article covering the long evolution of the changes to the model 19:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=15008

Good luck!

Attached Files
.pdf Philco Service Bulletin No. 146.pdf Size: 352.09 KB  Downloads: 255

I'm finding some minor changes to the schematic in the "changes" bulletin, but the composite schematic Ron put together is a big help. I'm using my Philco block capacitor guide to help make decisions about destuffing blocks. Most of the dogbones are within 5% so far except that 1 meg one on C27, but I've been working from bottom to top in the picture above, so the big block capacitor will be the last one.
I'm going to have to go slow for a bit until I get the new rubber for the tuning cap and some cloth covered wire for the speaker/output transformer (the old cloth wire was broken in several places).

Charlie in San Antonio

Note to the Philco assembly plant: put a warning that you have to remove the filter cap assembly in order to remove the tone control engraved somewhere on the chassis on the 19 model, please. Some of us replace the tone control LAST!

Charlie in San Antonio

Icon_lol  Did the same thing myself on a 19 I did last year. Keep up the good work.

OK, I have the tone control out, and now I'm a bit confused about the replacement caps. The part numbers on the schematic that I'm using (Ron's labor of love for the 19...the one he thinks should be the "code 126" is the one I'm using) has part number...what...number 53? Then there seem to be two sets of caps...part numbers 52 (a .05 and a .03) and part number 33 (a .015 and a .006). Part 33 is the tone control on the parts map for the 19/89 in the "changes" bulletin. There are no parts 52 and 53 on that parts map.
The tone control in the radio seemed to only have two caps in it, and, unrelated, my radio has a Bakelite block with a .05 in it (in the upper right in the photo above...also not on the parts map for the old 89/19 schematic) that connects to what I take to be R20 (2900 ohms) connecting it to C8.
So my tone control restuff should use the values on Ron's schematic for part 33 (which are .006 and .015). I can find R50 between the volume control and the tone control and it measures correct (10K). So I guess my question is:

Where is part 52 and what is part 53?

Charlie in San Antonio

This schematic shows 52 an 53 as tone control and caps for it. Also the .05 cap that connects to the #20 resistor and c8. Could this be what you need?
http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum/19v6.jpg

I must be getting blind in my old age. There was C33 tucked in behind the wire-wound resistor. I ended up having to remove the resistor, the Bakelite block, and the band switch in order to get at it all, but I've got it done. I simply never saw it. I think that is a hint that I might need a better shop light. But for the record, the tone control has four caps as shown in the schematic: two in the tone control and two in a Bakelite box behind the tone control.

Now, I'm waiting on some cloth-covered wire to replace the leads on the speaker/output transformer, and I should be ready to try it out.

Charlie in San Antonio

there are 2 --- (C-8's) .09 & 700 mmf

I made my own parts map and labeled each resistor, and that helped. I wonder if I am hooking up the filter circuit correctly? C44 positive connects to the Field Coil and ungrounded end of C45. Negative connects to ungrounded end of 7E (Big cap block) and the CT of the power transformer at the end of R43.

C46 positive connects to R48, R29 (voltage splitting), Output Transformer, and the grid of the 42 tube and the grounded end of C45. Negative connects to the ungrounded end of C7E the CT of the power transformer at the end of R43.

Both electrolytics have their negative ends connected to C7E, R43, and the CT?

Charlie in San Antonio