Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-160 Antenna Repair Help

Hey all, new guy here. I've got a Philco 40-160 Floor model that I bought at a flea market about a year ago. I'm starting on the restoration process and would like to get some input from you all. The radio and cabinet are in rough shape, not terrible, but not great either. The worst part I think is the antenna. I've got a picture here to show you. My question is, where do I begin with this part?? Should I make this part new from scratch? or is there a way to salvage this one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
Manassas, VA

[Image: http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww53/...0023-1.jpg]

Hi

Looks to me like your loop antenna could benefit from the same fix I apply to the wiring under the chassis of 1939-1942 Philcos...simply remove the remaining insulation from each wire, one at a time, then unsolder the end terminal (again, one at a time), sleeve the wire with color-coded heat shrink tubing, heat the shrink tubing to make it shrink, then resolder the end terminal to the end of the wire. Repeat for the remaining wires.

I've seen 1940 Philco loops in worse shape...even with the cardboard cover completely missing. The loop still worked, however, as it was intact save for that cardboard covering.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. Cardboard, huh? I suspected that the covering was made of leather or some similar material due to the stitching holding it together, and the way it cracks.

As you can see, from both ends it has cracked and dry rotted and the staples holding it on have rusted, causing the material to crumble away. This is what I'm not sure how to fix. I understand what you said about recovering the wire leads, but what about the rest of it? Would it be feasible to remake this whole loop antenna using the existing wire, some brown craft paper (or similar) and contact cement?

Brian
Manassas, VA

"Cardboard" was not the correct term, sorry. That's what I get for replying in a hurry. Icon_confused

Heavy brown paper is more correct. There are some wires embedded within the paper which acts as a shield of sorts; the shield is not really necessary and the loop will function quite nicely without it. Trust me, I have seen much worse loops than yours. And as stated before, I have one here with the paper covering completely gone, and it works just fine.

By the looks of yours, it seems to me that some careful application of glue will take care of the ends where the paper is pulling loose from the wooden end pieces. Do that, and resleeve the wires, and your loop should be in good shape. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN