Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ron's 2016 Cabinet Work Part III: 38-624T

Thanks, guys! Icon_biggrin

I took Thursday and Friday evenings off from cabinet work.

Today, I went back to the workbench and painted the edges of the grille openings with brown nail polish. After that dried, I wet sanded the entire cabinet with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. This gave the cabinet a very smooth surface and prepared it for two more coats of clear lacquer.

I'm completely out of gloss Deft, and only have a can and a half of semi-gloss Deft remaining in my lacquer inventory. Last night when we were out making our once a month pilgrimage to Wally World (a place we both despise, but unfortunately, they carry many items not found in other local establishments), I noticed some cans of Watco lacquer.

I had never used Watco before, but I have noticed that some of the guys on the other forum have used it, with no complaints that I saw.

Wally World had four cans of gloss...and I bought all four cans. The previous three coats of clear on the 38-624T cabinet were done with semi-gloss Deft as that is all I had at the time.

So today, I tried Watco for the first time.

I applied two coats of it, and so far, it looks just fine. Icon_thumbup

No photos as the cabinet's appearance has not really changed other than the clear being a bit deeper...and smoother.

Tomorrow, I plan to wet sand the cabinet again, using 1000 grit wet/dry paper, followed by a final two coats of Watco clear gloss lacquer.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ron's 2016 Cabinet Work Part III: 38-624T - by Ron Ramirez - 11-05-2016, 03:45 PM