Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radiola 18 question

I just finished elec-resto on a 1928 Radiola 18 TRF . It sounds awesome thru its companion 100A spkr.
I know these TRFs types are limited in reception tuning-range. Seems this receiver is only good up to about 1500 KHz. Was wondering if anyone has any RCA books, or vintage info, that may tell the factory tuning-range specs of the Radiola mod 18? Thanks! Randal

Hi Randal

I don't have any RCA Red Books, but I would guess that your Radiola 18 would have been limited to 550 to 1500 kc since that was the lower and upper limits, respectively, of the AM band in those days. Even Philco 70, 90 and 112 sets will only tune from around 540-550 kc up to around 1510 kc.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron! This old Radiola 18 receives a Mex Station around 600 khz, on the low end, and stations all across the dial up to approx 1500 khz. Guess this old TRF is now ready for delivery. Sure appreciate your verification! Randal

I supp[ose that this tale can be told of any TRF set of that era. The RCA sets made those years, used the same tuning condenser on several models. By the time of the Radiola 17 (predecessor to the 18), the performance of those beasts was amazingly good, and people bought them like getting free beer! They, Atwater Kent, Bosch, Philco,and severa others used the new AC tubes, and showed the public just what a radio could do. I talked with a guy who had worked for a furniture store in Detroit in 1928. He said that the store received a carload of Radiolas 18 at Christmas time, and sold them all out. Do you wonder why they're still common as dirt?

One little tip. These sets were made for a high impedance speaker (about 2000 ohms), as the magnetics were. Try a modern PM dynamic speaker, about 10 or 12 inch, with a matchng transformer on one of those sets. You'll be amazed at how good they sound.

I agree Doug. These old trf sets do sound much better by adding a matching trans to use a modern pm type spkr. I use the 8" full range muzak type spkrs in my personal vintage collection of RCA 100A/or early AK type metal spkr housings. Those muzak type 8" spkrs retrofit nicely using a custom-cut wood baffle board, and no appearance change to orig spkr housing at all. The muzak type pm ( overhead ceiling) spkrs can be found for cheap or free anywhere a old office or retail business ceiling is being demolished for remodels with multi-tap spkr transformers attached!I once found 12 of each ( good as new for free) at a old "EyeMasters" Store being remodeled. Those old grid-type drop-in ceiling tiles do hold some good treasures that demo remodel contractors know nothing about!Most of the time, all those good spkr items go into a construction dumpster!
As for my "customers" orig RCA 100A, it worked great so I left it orig. I was surprised it sounded good also after all those yrs! Icon_wink

I looked on the bottom of my 17 and part of the tag was gone, but it said 1400. I then looked at the 33 and it said 550 to 1400. Probably were not many stations over 1400 then.

Thanks for looking & posting the exact early Radiola TRF bandwidth info Jim!! Very much appreciated!! I just completed restoration of my old personal Radiola 18 pwr supply and got my set working also. It had been in storage for yrs!The chassis was separated from the cabinet yrs ago and mice had eaten at the power-supply wiring. I had to completely rewire my p.s. chassis for safe operation. I also had to use a small chassis mount spkr trans for it to sub a pm type Spkr, but it sounds great also! My customers set also sounded great with their orig RCA 100A orig spkr. However, adding a pm spkr does these sets justice for sound quality indeed when necessary! My vintage AK trf sets also work well with the spkr-trans added. Sincerely, Randal