Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SAMS for '29 Models -- Does it Exist?

Hello - does anyone have a SAMS booklet that contains a dial stringing diagram for a '29 Philco 95? I've searched the site, as well as others, and can't seem to locate one. Thanks.

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

No it does not exist. I do have a drawing I made for someone and could send you a copy via the post office. I wrote the model on the diagram I made and i think the 95 should be the same as they all used the same dial cord. Is yours that thicker cord? If so I have some I can send you.

Thanks, Jim -- I sent you a separate PM...

For anyone reading's reference, I've figured out a dress shoe lace (thin string type) works perfectly as dial string for these old models that take a thicker dial string. Just fyi.

JF Riders manuals may have it, not sure tho. Sams troubleshooters" photofacts" info didnt even exist in 29. The Sams schemats & dial stringing data was avail starting in the early-mid 1950s & beyond into the 60s & early 70s if I remember correctly , and Sams photofacts superceded JF Riders after about 1953? You might want to check http://www.nostalgiaair.com for the orig 29 model schemat & any other dial-string pages associated with similar models. Not sure they exist tho. Worth a try searching in orig JF Riders "changes" pages and similar chassis designs by same mfgr from page to page looking over similar dial-stringing data. Worth a try! Icon_wink

Sams and Riders usually re-published these diagrams from the radio mfrs. I beleive Philco never published manyb early model dial cord diagrams. I've never been able to dig up any. There aren't even any references to diagrams in the original Service Bulletins or dealer/repair Parts Catalogues and Dealer Service Aid bulletins. I guess the contemporary repairman or shop would not have had to contend with a rotted/broken dial cord. The cords were too "new" and did not have 60-70 years to "age." The cords usually lasted the intended product lifetime for the most part.

Icon_smile

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I have the schematics and figured out the dial string config by trial & error and used a dress shoe lace -- works great.

Chuck or others - can you tell me the difference between an early 95, late 95, and a 96? I'm struggling to identify the difference between them on the schematics. Also, did the 95 have a large tube shield across the back side? I've not found a single pic of one with this type shield, but there's a set of small screw holes running in parallel with the tube array along the vertical side of the chassis base that makes me think there might have been. ??

Early version of the 95 only has bypass caps #16 and #17 in B+ and screen supply lines.

Later version 95 has the cap/resistor combo parts #8 and #15 for better decoupling.

Model 96 shows it used non-baloon type tubes and also has parts #43 and #45 added to screen supply line for different voltage dividing arrangement.

See the schematics here on Ron's site.

Chuck

Ah - got it, now I understand. Any idea whether it had the tube shield or not? Thanks for your help!!

Yes, Model 95 has the same large tube shield as Model 96.

Recently redid a 95 for a customer, and it did indeed have this shield.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wow, okay. I'm glad I noticed those screw holes and asked. I'm sure finding one will be like a needle in a haystack, but at least I now know. I've just completely restored a 95 to what I'd consider "museum quality" by the definitions I've seen, disappointing to learn I need a shield now. Oh, well. Thank you for the info Ron.