Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Introduction and Radio Help

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mike and I am from State College, Pa. I recently found this forum and it looks like a good place to learn more about Philco Radios. I am fairly new to radio collecting, although I've had an interest in the history of radios for much longer.

My wife recently bought me my first radio project, and I thought I would seek some advice from the group. I am a novice at this, and I still have a lot to learn, but I do have some electronic experience, and a brother who is an electrical engineer who can help me as I work on this project.

But before I even go there, I wanted to show you the radio and ask for help in identifying it. I cannot find any tags on it that would identify the radio, but I've been educating myself on them, and it looks I have an 18b with a different chassis. The chassis has 7 tubes and it looks like it might be out of a model 70.

The cabinet is in really nice shape other than a piece of veneer missing on the top left and two holes that have been drilled for the replacement chassis. Any opinions on what is the best approach to repair that?

Anyway, I have bunch of questions that I'd like to ask input on but I will leave it there for now. Any input you can give on identifying the cabinet and chassis would be appreciated. And thanks for the opportunity to be a part of the forum.

Mike

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Hi Mike, and welcome!

Yes, unfortunately, you have a Model 70 chassis stuck into an 18B cabinet, and with different knob holes drilled into the front panel to boot. Don't you love it? It looks like it still has the original speaker from the 18B; an original Model 70 speaker looks much different.

Thank your wife profusely and take her to dinner - so many women could care less about radios, so you have a special lady.

The best way to repair the cabinet would be to have a new front panel made for it. Yes, it can be removed from the main body of the cabinet. It is held in place from the back by many small wood screws. And once you remove those screws, the panel may still be stuck to the main part of the cabinet. With gentle persuasion...you can get it out from the back.

Then contact Dick Oliver. His contact info in on my website's Resources page. You will probably have to send the original panel to him; but be sure you indicate the proper knob holes!

But let's back up a moment. Do you want to keep this as a 70/18 hybrid, or do you want it to be authentic? The answer to this question will determine how you have that front panel made. The 18 chassis has knobs spread further apart, as the two holes on either side of the volume and tone controls indicate.

A Model 18 chassis should not be terribly hard to find. A Model 14 Code 122 or 123 will also fit this cabinet.

I wish I had one; I would gladly trade with you, as I have an empty 70 cathedral cabinet. Unfortunately, I don't.

At any rate...please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, thank you for all of the helpful information. I think I am going to try to restore the radio back to it's original condition which means I guess I will be looking for a chassis for an 18b or the others that you had mentioned.

I told my wife that it was even better it turned out this way because I could potentially have two radios when I am finished!

I know ebay is an option, but I wondered if there were other places/people that might sell this chassis as well?

As far as the current chassis in the radio goes, I think I'll keep an eye open for a Model 70 cabinet and speaker.

Thanks again.

Mike, the price of a model 70 speaker can get pretty hairy. One just sold on ebay for $177!
Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

mikehorning Wrote:I know ebay is an option, but I wondered if there were other places/people that might sell this chassis as well?

Well...there is the Philco For Sale Or Trade section of the Phorum... Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh, and Mike, in case you missed my "Gift Supreme For Christmas" thread, here is what a properly restored 18B should look like.

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...after3.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Beautiful Philco Ron!! Glad to see ol Santa was good to you this year!! Awesome indeed!! Icon_wink

Mike, I can supply a bare 70 cabinet. Members may recall my jumping on a BIN thinking it was the whole radio. If it sounds too good...
Anyway here are a couple of photos. The front looks good and has the dial escutcheon. The top, back edge has some chipping and the side has an extra hole.
I have no idea what to ask for it, certainly not as much as I paid. If you have something interesting and old to trade that would be preferred.
Otherwise how about some members chiming in on what is fair. The orange chair is free for pickup.

[Image: http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/u...0_0208.jpg] [Image: http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/u...0_0209.jpg]

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

There you go, Mike. Get that cabinet from Phil (Uffda) and you'll be on your way to having two radios!

We have some of the best guys in the antique radio hobby hanging out here in the Phorum. The friendliness and generosity is simply awesome.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Phil, wow, that does sound great. Do you have other things that you collect? I am new to radios, so my collection is pretty small, but I come from a long line of antique hobbyists/collectors. Let me know if you have other interests or a price you would like for it. I'd be interested in working something out.

Ron, you're right two radios would be better than one!

Also, I did see your other post. Your 18B looks really nice. I hope I can get mine looking like that eventually.

I became interested in mine about 6 months ago. I saw it in a goodwill shop and went home telling my wife about it. The next time I went back, it was gone. Turns out she went in and bought it for me for Christmas. I have a few other tube radios that my father bought for me, but this will be my first attempt at a restoration.

By the way, do you know the proper pattern for the grill cloth in the 18b? I know I will need to replace that.

mikehorning Wrote:By the way, do you know the proper pattern for the grill cloth in the 18b? I know I will need to replace that.

You mean the proper grill cloth for the model 70? Here's what I believe is the proper grill cloth for a 70, courtesy of Ken's Radio's
http://kensradios.com/table20080108.htm

[Image: http://kensradios.com/images/PHILCO_MODEL_70.jpg]

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Mike, I'm sick so drop off to bed every few hours. I will email you to talk about the cabinet later.
Too hard to think straight right now.

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

mikehorning Wrote:By the way, do you know the proper pattern for the grill cloth in the 18b? I know I will need to replace that.

The proper cloth for the 18B just happens to also be the proper pattern for the 70; and that is Pattern #1 from Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters.

http://www.grillecloth.com/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN