Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restor-A-Finish and Lacquer

I've used Restor-A-Finish on a Model 60 cabinet with amazing results. There are still some small patches where the finish is simply too gone. Will it work to spray toner to fill in these spots after using R-A-F? The instructions say you can't use Poly on top of R-A-F so I'm worried the same may be true for lacquer. I'm then planning to spray the entire cabinet with satin clear lacquer (several coats and sand in-between) to finish it out. Any potential issues that I should be aware? Thanks.

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

I can vouch for the no Poly over R-A-F advice. When I used Poly over it - it peeled off like an onion skin Icon_cry
I've used Birchwood Casey's Tru-oil over R-A-F with good results. Though I've never tried lacquer. I have a 41-240 that I used R-A-F (it's really great stuff), now I want to add some decals and seal them over -- I'm not sure how to do that. I hope someone jumps in with some advice on what works over R-A-F.

Thanks, canerods - I hope someone else does jump in, too. I'm pretty new to using lacquers and sure don't want to screw up.

In case they do, my main questions are:

1) I've used R-A-F on a finish and all that remains are some patches where the old finish is not completely gone, but is crackled and very small patches missing. Can toning lacquer be used and blended over the R-A-F?

2) Will a few coats of clear lacquer (applied then sanded each time) fill in and blend the broken spots of finish?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

jayoungs Wrote:Thanks, canerods - I hope someone else does jump in, too. I'm pretty new to using lacquers and sure don't want to screw up.

In case they do, my main questions are:

1) I've used R-A-F on a finish and all that remains are some patches where the old finish is not completely gone, but is crackled and very small patches missing. Can toning lacquer be used and blended over the R-A-F?

I have done it, it works but you should wait a good year before lacquering.

Quote:2) Will a few coats of clear lacquer (applied then sanded each time) fill in and blend the broken spots of finish?

This will require a bit of work. I have done such a repair in the past around knobs (common wear).
But I prefer using felt tip pens to mathc the color then spray a few coats of clear lacquers. First step is to feather the worn original finish. The apply the color *R-A-F*, felt tip pen, then apply a few coats only where the finish is worn. Sand between coats then apply more coats until
it levels with the "good" finish. I al,so use clear nail polish (which is nitro lacquer) to level the work area if it is small,
sand then clear lacquer. If done right the repair will be invisible.

Syl

Syl,

That helps a lot - thank you for the advice and details. I like the nail polish trick. The cabinet has a few small places I think this would work really well. I'll try it all and - hopefully - post some pics of good results!

Thanks,

Joe