Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"Radiorgan" Dilemna

Hi. I'm refurbishing a Zenith 8-S-359 which has the Radiorgan pushbutton controls. The escutcheon has darkened pretty badly with age and was wondering if anyone knows a reference - or knows themselves - how best to freshen it up. Also, a few of the push buttons are gone - anyone have some of these to sell or a good site to find them? Thanks

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

Hi,

I can't help you on the escutcheon, but you can get replica pushbuttons from Larry Bordonaro at Old Time Replications here. http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/index.html They are reasonably priced and sometimes it is best to buy the whole set, so that they match. You can email Larry for details.

Ed

Thanks, Ed. I've contacted Larry and greatly appreciate your help.

Joe

In case anyone has to replace pushbuttons with fiberboard slides behind them on a Zenith 8-S-359 or other 6-button station, I got the following good advice:

First, take a look at your 6 broken ones buttons and make a map. There are two types NO and NC three of each in your kit to replace.
Next. Dremel Tool and grind off the metal staked backside so you can remove.. pry off carefully the bakelite strips. Next you will have to unbend slightly the steel holder for the wire harness... you need just a bit more room to get it all apart. So unroll that thing just a bit. Now you have the bakelites off the backside... remove the old broken fiber switches... while you have it apart.. clean the brass fingers of the switches...super fine sandpaper works well.. next install the new fibers into correct positions. Now put the bakelite strips back in place. This will require addition of slight amount of 2 part epoxy to keep them in place since you ground away the metal that held them before. Close up the rolled wire holder a bit and your done. I use clear silicone then to install new hook buttons on the ends of the new fibers.

Hi Joe,

You have received good advice. However, on the one that I did, it was not necessary to grind off the old metal tabs or stakes. I was able to use a needle-nose pliers and bend the tabs back together. I did have to use a small file and file the tabs slightly, so that they would be thin enough to fit through the slots in the phenolic/bakelite board. Once the new fiber switches are in place, it is then a simple matter to reinstall the the phenolic board and slightly bend the tabs or stakes apart to hold the phenolic board in place. Also, when I installed the new hook buttons, I just used a little dab of super glue applied by brush. The type that works best for this is the 'Loctite' brand that comes in a small plastic bottle with an applicator brush attached to the screw-on cap. It looks like a nail polish applicator. There is always more than one way to approach a project. Use whatever works best for you. Icon_smile

Regards,

Ed

Hey Ed,

Thanks for the info. I've got a bottle of super glue with the applicator you mention and will put it to good use! Funny you mention the needle-nose pliers, I tried doing exactly your suggestion on my first attempt and one tiny tab end snapped off. Didn't hurt anything, but scared me away from going further. I'll get it done now, just didn't even know before if I had to take the phenolic board off or if there was a "trick" I wasn't aware of... I appreciate your help!

Joe

It worked and all is back together. Thank you! Icon_biggrin

Joe,

Great! I'm glad you were able to get it repaired and working. Did you end up having to grind off the tabs or were you able to get the assembly apart without? Regardless, it is definitely one of those jobs that you would rather not have to do.

Regards,

Ed

Hey Ed,

I tried working the tabs so that removing them wouldn't be necessary, but the boards - ultimately - seemed too fragile to risk it. So, I took my Dremel and a sharp-pointed stone grinding bit and knocked down the tabs to the point they were flush with the board surface. This left a "post" on which to re-mount the boards. I used a razor blade directly under the board edge to loosen, then inserted needle-nose plier points underneath and expanded them to gently push the boards off of the post. After a thorough cleaning, light sanding of the switch connections and replacement of the fiber switches, I used a very thin line of clear glue to hold the boards after popping back onto the posts. It's very tight and I figured the clear glue would be easly enough to slice through if the boards ever needed removing again. Wiped off the bakelite with a little dab of 3M hand glaze and all looks good as new!

Best Regards,

Joe

Quote:I tried working the tabs so that removing them wouldn't be necessary, but the boards - ultimately - seemed too fragile to risk it.

Yes, others have reported having this problem too. It is definitely a difficult task. Fortunately, you were able to complete the repair successfully and can move on to some of the more fun tasks.

Regards,

Ed