Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

paper wax caps

I have two questions about paper caps.  First, I have a paper wax cap that has a ground arrow pointing to a lead.
Does not these type caps have a pos or neg side?   And I have a cap that says.0033 mfd,  1600 VDC.  Do they make a cap with that much voltage and if so where can I get one.  Thanks...

(12-11-2016, 09:50 PM)Sinatra1982 Wrote:  I have two questions about paper caps.  First, I have a paper wax cap that has a ground arrow pointing to a lead.
Does not these type caps have a pos or neg side?   And I have a cap that says.0033 mfd,  1600 VDC.  Do they make a cap with that much voltage and if so where can I get one.  Thanks...

>Does not these type caps have a pos or neg side?
No, wax/paper and the modern film are not polarized. The old tubular w/p cap have foil side and sometime is marked as the ground side.

>.0033 mfd,  1600 VDC.  Do they make a cap with that much voltage and if so where can I get one.  Thanks...
Short answer is use 3, .01 630v caps in series.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That is a big help, thank you so very much.

Frank, Icon_smile

If you gave the sch, we could've told you if you even need 1600V cap. Sometimes there's no need in that.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Sinatra, Justradios.com has a .0033@ 1600v in an orange dip cap!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

about the 1600 volt capacitor, if this is a typical home radio, a capacitor with this high voltage rating is not necessary.  if this is a transmitter or other kind of commercial gear, then maybe you need this voltage rating. sounds like someone put a buffer capacitor in the set. these were used primarily in car radios across the power transformer winding to assist in maintaining the stability of the vibrator-transformer circuit.  they may have been used in some television circuits as well 

you are safe using the 600-630 volt rating capacitors for most everything.

Welcome to the Phorum Dennis!
Icon_wave

(12-13-2016, 10:18 AM)Dennis Craft Wrote:  about the 1600 volt capacitor, if this is a typical home radio, a capacitor with this high voltage rating is not necessary.

Dennis

Sinatra probably is talking of one of these caps that goes from the output transformer driver tube's plate to the GND.
These are often rated 1.5kV or so. I do not think the rating is necessary, it is done for the case when a speaker can be unplugged while working and create a flash-over. In case when the speaker is soldered in, there is no unplugging.
To me the usual 600V rating would be just fine in such a case.
I saw that in Zenith, Philco, I am sure some other radios have the same.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks everyone for your help. It has been a great help.

Those can also be had from Mouser. Just bought some for my VTVM resto and upcoming Oscilloscope resto, but they are rather large in size. About the same size of the original. 

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I just gotta say,  I remember when I was a newb and needed a couple caps
I really chocked after paying for bunch of caps at a min order of 20.00 only to find that a certain set I was working
on needed a specific cap and dreaded the thought of buying 1 cap. So I searched for another outlet and found a seller
with no minimum order.I have no affiliation with this site,but sure saved me dough over the years on ones and twos of caps and resistors. Very good selection too.

http://www.wjoe.com/capacitors.htm

(Ron if this is out of line delete)