Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-650PX for a newbie

Hi everyone, i am new to restoration and this forum and recently came into acquiring a 37-650PX which is the 37-650 with a 78rpm turntable on the top. Power cord is horrible and will need to be replaced but have not taken anything apart yet, kind of apprehensive about taking it apart until i learn more of about dissassembly of this unit. Do not want to break anything. i would love to learn to restore but also worried i might destroy it. If anyone has recommendations on ease or restorers who can help in the future let me know.

This was a Xmas gift from my wife since i have always wanted a Philco and she found one from a guy for 50 bucks in very good cabinet shape. look forward to learning on here and hopefully getting the electronics restored.

from what i am told this turns on but the powercord is so bad i don't feel safe plugging it in.

Well...you will need a standard electronics kit: soldering, multimeter, pliers-cutters, wire and such. Then you need the sch: a so-so readable is on the Nostalgiaair.org site, good one is bought from Chuck Schwark. Then you start and we help.
Welcome!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

You are right to not plug it in and turn it on.  You could easily cause damage.  This being your first restoration, I'm going to point you in a few directions and ask you a few questions.  Others will surely add to the conversation as well.  Here's some info in your model from Ron's gallery: http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1937a.htm#au

First question, how familiar are you with electricity, ohms law, resistors, capacitors etc.?
Second, do you have a voltmeter/ohm meter and do you know how to use it?

Familiarize yourself with the information in this Phorum, particularly the Tech Section which will have some advice, some specific to a particularly item others more general.  There is a how to do things on the Phorum section which includes how to post pictures.

Read this information for beginners by Phil Nelson: http://www.antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

A schematic can be found for the radio portion at this LINK.  You will need the DjVu reader available on this PAGE.   A somewhat less readable version is available at Nostalgiaair.

You will need to replace all the paper and electrolytic capacitors and probably some of the resistors if they are out of spec.  To get an idea of a similar restoration currently being done on a 37-640 you can read through this THREAD.  The 640 and 650 are not identical but the restoration issues and techniques will be similar.

I have not worked on a phonograph but there are people here who have.

Go slow, read, and ask questions here.  There's more I could give you but that's a start for now.

appreciate all of this so far, will definitely read and look at all of these suggestions and let you know. i do have a multimeter but do not know how to use it. i know basics on soldering and have done soldering of capacitors on boards on modern tv's but this is a completely different animal. i look forward to learning as i go.

Honestly, though obviously I wish you success, I find it irresponsible on anyone's part to encourage a person not familiar with electronics (soldering is not electronics) to start their familiarizing with it from restoring a tube-based equipment.
Tubes work with high voltages, up to 4 times higher than the 120V in the outlet that still can kill a human.

My honest suggestion: hire someone to do it, or put it away until you have enough understanding and practice to work with tubes.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but it is plain dangerous what you are about yo do, and I noticed recently that people without proper experience get lots of encouragement; I think it is wrong. No restoration is worth risking a life for.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I have to say I agree with Mike. A 37-650PX is a rather advanced project. Perhaps start with a small AA5, like a post war Transitone. Something more simple to familiarize yourself with soldering, capacitor / resistor replacement. Measuring resistors, checking voltages, etc. In other words, something to practice on to gain the necessary skills and knowledge. This isn't meant as a criticism or to sound harsh. It's meant in a kind, encouraging way to be helpful so that when you do tackle the more advanced 37-650PX it won't be as overwhelming.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Not taking any of this harsh, appreciate all the suggestions and feedback. Like i said i am brand new to all of this and the feedback helps me understand more. i am leaning on having someone do the electronics for me. Now to find someone fair priced and willing to do it.

You are in PA. There are lots of folks in PA, and some of them are here on the Phorum.
I am sure you could contact some of them and ask for help.

Magrade, we all started somewhere. We all made (and still make) mistakes, and you will too. One of us mentioned starting on a simple AA5 - this is a basic 5 tube AM radio that is simple, inexpensive and readily available. You do need to know that the metal chassis on these are connected to one side of the ac line, and you will still run into some voltages of around 150v. You may want to avoid the newer printed circuit models, and look for a stamped steel chassis model - more like your Philco. You will not see a big power transformer in these. I think Mike (Morzh) mentioned some of the tools you need. I don't know if the meter you have is digital or analog, but I would recommend a digital, maybe from Harbor Freight. They are reasonable. Auto range and protection in case you make a mistake.

I got to thinking about your thread last night and I have a couple recommendations and a warning. In your Philco, you can have 300-400 volts easily, and if you don't know where they are, you can get a very nasty surprise. Ok, I have some reading material to recommend. A couple of good books to look for are: "How to repair Old-Time Radios" by Clayton L Hallmark, and "Practical Radio Servicing"  by Markus and Levy.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Practical-Radio-...xy--NRwZt0 There are countless Youtube videos about restoring these.

Now, do you only want to restore this one radio or do you want to start a hobby? If you only want to restore this one radio, then best let someone else do it, if you want to do more, then start reading, get some basic tools and start practicing. Lots of help in this phorum. Oh, one more thing - expect to contract the radio virus!

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Magrade, Sent you a PM..

Skip..