Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 51 problem

Ok . I'll try anything to see if it helps. I did discover that the # 35 resistor which is supposed to be 8000 ohms was actually 9.2k so I replaced it an 8 k ohm ,which should help. Sounds like I need to do some experimenting . thanks for the ideas. I'll let you know what happens.
walt

Wally

Have you actually checked the resistors or you only have done the recap?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I replaced all the capacitors except the mica caps and replaced all the resistors with new ones except but two or three. Unfortunately the underside of the chassis does not look original anymore. But I'm not too concerned with that ....I just want it to work properly. Usually when the radio is cold is when it does not oscillate . After it plays for a few minutes I can turn it off and back on and it fires every time after that. Replacing # 35 resistor with the proper value didn't seem to help. Maybe I should go lower to a 7k or 6k if ya'll think that would help. thanks for your interest .
walt

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/635/M0029635.htm

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(12-18-2016, 05:04 PM)wally73 Wrote:  I replaced all the capacitors except the mica caps and replaced  all the resistors with new ones except  but two or three. Unfortunately the underside of the chassis does not look original anymore. But I'm not too concerned with that ....I just want it to work properly.   Usually when the radio is cold is when it does not oscillate . After it plays for a few minutes I can turn it off and back on and it fires every time after that.  Replacing # 35  resistor with the proper value didn't seem to help. Maybe I should go lower to a 7k or 6k if ya'll think that would help.  thanks for your interest .
walt

I probably would go below 6K. Lowering this resistor stimulates the tube to be a bit more active.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yeah I was looking at the schematic and wondering about that. Its that much closer to being shorted out ,so to speak. I'll run over to Radio Shack and get some lower resistors. The radio sounds really good when it DOES work so I'll keep trying. I tried the twisted wire thing and it didn't seem to help. regards
walt