Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60 restoration

This radio I got when visiting Skip with Terry last weekend.
Actually the only thing I bought there.

Skip said there is  a potential problem with one of the coils.
Otherwise the radio is very clean, the underchassis is unmolested, the cabinet is refinished and is nice though there are some marks but not too bad to warrant another refinish.

I decided I would not be making initial photos, nothing much to show.

I restored a 66 a year or so ago, so 66 and 60 being essentially the same radio with a tad different bands, I could say I have some experience with this one.

Will start with checking the speaker (the cone seems pristine) - transformer, coil and such; then RF coils; then start the recap.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013793.pdf

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

See my thread Philco ID .. It will tell you what I did..

Hope I measured the coils wrong and They are not open...

Skip...

Mike, the 60 has a bunch of modifications over several years...all nicely documented by Ron including schematics of the various versions so you can easily figure out which one you have.

Thanks Skip. Could you provide the link?

Bob, mine is 121.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Sure..

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=15763

Skip...

Well. Antenna transformer had two opens: antenna side the 0.7 ohm to GND and the secondary - the lower last 1 ohm section.
The wire was badly corroded so I guessed the number of the latter to be 6 turns and the former I was able to count as 24 turns. Tracing took some time.

Now I think the osc coil is also open.

Tomorrow.

Forgot: I rewound the xfmr and soldered it in. I think my wire's thinner as it gave more resistance than it is in the sch, but then it doesn't matter.

Yup, Thats what I thought. The OSC coil is probably open also.. Since I haven't tried to rewind coils and I couldn't convince Terry to rewind for me Thats why I passed on it.. I did really like it and the Cabinet was in great shape..

I think everything else checked out OK.. I do not remember getting to the IF coils however...

Skip...

I found out the electrolytics are full of microfarads, so I am tempted to try them. Then don't seem to be the drying type. One is 5uF and the other is 15uF.

Good thing that antenna coil that is separately wound inside the antenna transformer is intact. Rewinding that one would be discouraging.

Also the sch does not show the IF trap. Which is there.

Mike, read Ron's thread. All 60s are labelled 121....
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=15007

Thanks Bob

This might be helpful as I go along.

Mine is the 1936 version.

I just finished a model 60, it was a run #7. Here's the thread and the problems I encountered:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=15832

Both the ANT and OSC coils were open on mine as well. A common problem on 60's from what I gather.

The wave trap and 4 leads instead of 5 coming out of the condenser block were the clues that helped me identify which run my set was.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Yesterday I checked again the oscillator coil and the primary (the one on the right in the sch) between pins 2 and 3 (the one saying 3.4 Ohm) was open.
It was a real pain to unwind it - so I tried to find some information and found a place where they say it is 13-14 turns and then two others where it is 17 turns. When I counted it I counted 18 turns by looking at the turns before unwinding it but then I doubted myself as I thought I counted some turns from the coil underneath (they overlap).

So today I think I will undo what I did yesterday and rewind it with 17 turns.
If anyone knows for a fact what the number of turns is, I could use some extra info.

Aw c'mon Mike, pictures puleeeeeze Icon_e_biggrin

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

You don't wanna see that! Icon_lol

I took the coil to work where I have a good lamp with a magnifying glass, and, first, removed the coil I wound yesterday, then removed the remnants of the celluloid insulator, then I wrapped it around with Kapton tape, than wound 17 turns of the 34 gauge wire (the only one I have), then wrapped it with Kapton again.

The resistance came out as 1.5 Ohm vs 3.4 Ohm that is the original value, but then the wire is thicker; probably, it was 38 gauge wire that was used.

I hope I have no other open coils. Really. I hate winding coils, especially when I cannot reliably count turns because wire is fragmented so badly it has 4-5 pieces per turn.