Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Q-1568-WA Question

Hi Everyone,

I have a philco q-1568-wa that I bought from someone off of craigslist. It is in good shape, the radio and speakers work great and mechanically the record player works great, but occasionally (more frequently than not) the sound cuts out while records are playing. I thought it might be a bad needle, so I replaced it, it played a whole stack no problem.

But then the problem returned. Usually a quick tap to the side of the player will bring it back but something is definitely wrong. Any thoughts on what it could be? And how I can go about fixing it?

I would appreciate any help you may be able to offer!

Joe
Philadelphia

Joe

Welcome.

Instead of quick tap you might want to gently wiggle wires, especially those coming from the record crystal adapter (or what have you) to the radio. If there are connectors, inspect those.

It is a bad connection, likely in the adapter wiring or connectors.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

(12-21-2016, 01:06 PM)morzh Wrote:  Joe

Welcome.

Instead of quick tap you might want to gently wiggle wires, especially those coming from the record crystal adapter (or what have you) to the radio. If there are connectors, inspect those.

It is a bad connection, likely in the adapter wiring or connectors.

Thanks Morzh! I was nervous about that, the wires are extremely thin and I am sure there may be a bad solder connection. It never occurred to me to check the crystal/cartridge. I guess I will just keep traveling along the signal chain and repair what I can.

Joe

(12-21-2016, 07:12 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Thanks Bob!

Hi Neighbor and welcome,
Since your set is a portable, as Mike suggested some sort of bad connection. This could be loose wire, poor solder joint, or a crack in a trace on the circuit board. When does it act up? Does it behave badly in the radio mode too?? I suspect that your set is close to 50yrs old (mid '60's)

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

(12-22-2016, 12:17 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Hi Neighbor and welcome,
Since your set is a portable, as Mike suggested some sort of bad connection. This could be loose wire, poor solder joint, or a crack in a trace on the circuit board. When does it act up? Does it behave badly in the radio mode too?? I suspect that your set is close to 50yrs old (mid '60's)

GL

Hi GL, it acts completely fine while the radio is on. I listened to an entire football game one Sunday with no problems. The speakers sounded great. It only acts up with the record player. 

I can't find much information on the unit itself. But I too suspect it is from sometime in the late 60's since it is AM/FM.

Joe

(12-22-2016, 12:58 PM)Joebusiness04 Wrote:  
(12-22-2016, 12:17 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Hi Neighbor and welcome,

GL

Hi GL, it acts completely fine while the radio is on. I listened to an entire football game one Sunday with no problems. The speakers sounded great. It only acts up with the record player. 

I can't find much information on the unit itself. But I too suspect it is from sometime in the late 60's since it is AM/FM.

Joe

Hi Joe,
GL is short for good luck. If you see GLOM it's kinda a ham thing good luck old man.
Well that's a good thing that it's only the phono that acts up. Didn't look for a schematic for as I'm more of a tube guy rather than a transistor.
Took a quick look and found this
https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofact...el/Q1568WA
You could try posting a want ad here and on the barking dog forum, someone may be willing to scan it for you for free. You can order it on line @ $22. This will have lot of pics and replacement part numbers ect... To be specific what you are looking for is Sam's Photofact 893-6. Sometimes they can turnup on Epay too for $5 or so. Sorry I have deep pocket but short arms!!!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, sorry, evidently my brain went out for lunch and left me at my desk.

Thanks for the link, it is super helpful, I greatly appreciate it!

Joe