Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tube replacement in Model 16B

I recently puchased a Philco model 16B, that was restored . When it arrived the #5Z3 rectifier tube had come out of it's socket, and broke inside the radio during shipping. I reserched that a #80 could be replaced by a 5Z3, but it did not state the other way around. However I had an extra #80 tube for my model 20 cathedral, and put it in the 16B radio, and it plays nicely. My question is this, is it OK to do this? Will it hurt anything in the radios circuitry? Thanks very much. Glenn G

Hi Glenn, and welcome.

The 5Z3 was to be used in Model 16 consoles and chairsides ONLY. Type 80 is the correct rectifier tube to use in the 16B cathedral and tombstone models.

5Z3 draws 3 amps of filament current compared to 2 amps for the 80. Using a 5Z3 in place of an 80 will place an extra load (extra stress) on your radio's power transformer...which is not a good thing.

So...only use a Type 80 rectifier in your 16B.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks very much Ron. I will leave the #80 in the radio. The schematic was missing from inside the cabinet, so I assumed the broken #5Z3 was correct. I guess they had the wrong tube in it all along.
Glenn