Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-630 Intermittent issue - solved

(12-23-2016, 10:56 AM)morzh Wrote:  What worries me about the silicone that is sold in stores, it really reeks of vinegar and from what i read it is for a reason - it does either exude acetic acid when curing or something to that effect.
Acid could damage wires.

Maybe it's an empty scare but I do not like acid smell near copper wiring.

It isn't an empty scare.

DO NOT use silicone on electronics. Period. End of story.

I know someone who repairs marine transceivers and related equipment for a living. He once described to me the results of potting a box full of copper wiring with silicone. He received a repair call because whatever was connected to the box stopped working. He opened the box and found that the silicone ate the copper. That's right - very little copper left.

After he told me that, I have refused to use silicone on any electronic item since.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I hadn't heard that. My bad. Icon_redface  Thanks Ron.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I took Ron's advice and bought some clear epoxy at Lowe's this morning. I just put it on the SM and now have to wait for it to set.

TV: Yes, intermittent problems can be a pain, which is probably why I waited 6 months to get the ambition to chase this one down.

Thanks for the suggestion KC. That looks like it might have worked fine as well.