Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 84 now has a hum

Speaking of FCC part 15 subpart B conformance for Unintentional Radiators. Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hey Mike,
I've got a similar issue w/my fairly new refrigerator. When the compressor kicks on the line noise triples. Very annoying!!! At first I thought it was a switch mode p/s some where in the house but tracked it to the fridge. Haven't tried to fix it yet but is on my long to do list.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry

It is strange, the asynchronous motors are not known to be big offenders.
You could try to buy/build a large enough filter and plug through it.
You could start with a few microfarads of capacitance in parallel to the lines. I doubt Y-caps would do much, the noise is likely the differential one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

So if I hook this puppy across the line all the noise will go away, neighbors will thank me for cleaning the line for blocks and blocks???

or

Will I be cursed for years for make the hood go black??

Don't know how many nf it is but it's 12mfd @ 3500v np.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The hood won't go black as 12uF is not that much of a capacitance and is an equivalent of 220 Ohms load except it is purely capacitive, and the current itself will be 1/2 A.
And this is one of those cases where "the size doesn't matter" Icon_smile

(12-28-2016, 04:44 PM)morzh Wrote:  The hood won't go black as 12uF is not that much of a capacitance and is an equivalent of 220 Ohms load except it is purely capacitive, and the current itself will be 1/2 A.
And this is one of those cases where "the size doesn't matter" Icon_smile

So abt 50wts.
Do thing improve if I add a few hnys in series with the cap?? I may have a 5 or 600 ma choke around.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I don't see why unless you are having problems. Yes LC filters are good if used correctly. Henries? Depends what noise it is.