Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 45C butterfly - caps restuffed?

I picked up a Philco 45C a year and a half ago, and just got around to looking at it.

It's clear that it's been worked on quite a bit, but it's not working.

I'm wondering whether these Philco paper caps look like they've already been restuffed?  I expect the ends to be yellow and waxy-dull looking, but instead they are black and hard-shiny looking.  The caps don't seem to be coated in wax.

Also, in this last picture, there's a 10K resistor with one end hanging loose (circled in green).  Does anyone recognize which resistor it is on the schematic?  My schematic (NostalgiaAir) is pretty lousy.  And small.

Thanks for any help!
Rodney

No they do not look like restuffed to me. let's wait for other opinions.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Agree with Mike, the paper caps do not look as if they have ever been restuffed.

Lots of older Philco paper caps used some sort of hard substance on the ends. It is very difficult to unpot these, but not impossible. Heat will soften the end cap material...but caution must be used so as not to overcook the cap and scorch it (been there, done that, have scorched caps to show for it).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Looking at the pictures I would say the caps were not restuffed.  You can also examine where they are soldered to see if it is new or tarnished.

Attached are some schematic pdfs, I downloaded from the Radio Museum that should help you identify where that resistor goes.

.pdf 42C_schematic_Pg1.pdf Size: 139.63 KB  Downloads: 126

.pdf 42C_schematic_Pg2.pdf Size: 373.28 KB  Downloads: 104

.pdf 42C_schematic_Pg3.pdf Size: 406.18 KB  Downloads: 105

Looking at the schematics and your pictures, I think it is item (resistor) #53.

Bill

Loose wire by Yellow Capacitor ???? Picture Number 2

Alright, thanks guys. Not that familiar with Philco components. I was comparing to a 28C I picked up recently for parts, and all the 28C's caps look the way I expected (coated with yellow wax). So these made me wonder.

All three caps are lead down through vias in the circuit board, so I guess I'm going to have to unwire the board and get a look underneath, to find out if they're original or have been resoldered. Many of the contacts along the edge of the board have clearly been resoldered.

I think the resistor may be part #53. It seems to be heading in the direction of the center tap on the volume control, but it doesn't quite reach. ???

I use the old wax so mine do look like that when done... The tell is the thin new wires coming out..

I literally just finished flipping a resistor board..
 What a PITB!
 24 connections removed just to flip the board...

UGh!

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Oh my....where did you find THAT?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I don't know where he got it. But I know where it will end up

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

No...no...nope...it won't. Or at least not for the next few months.
Or maybe he burns it before it gets to me. In any case this ain't happening before the Kutztown.
Icon_lol

HA!
I fixed it so poo on you both!

Icon_lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Whew!

THEM capacitors and resistors ,,,would be on the top side ,,of that board ,,,If it was Mine's-----unless ,,it sticks passed the bottom of thee chassis,,,,,CHEERS