Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 51-1330 Recap

Finished recap and tube checks. Replaced 35Z5 (open filament). Someone had been there before me and installed a couple of dual section capacitors on the power supply side which I removed along with the old wax types. Did note that C5 was missing. Replaced missing lamp.

Constant hum on power up. Also, noticed lamp get much brighter as tubes had time to warm. I added a C5 capacitor and no hum and good station reception resulted.

Planning to leave the C5, add 330 ohm across the lamp, and a polarized power cord.

I'm just getting started in restoration so comments appreciated. Thoughts on why the C5 was removed ? Anything on power cord connection point?

Hi Ariac     http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013711.pdf  I have posted a link to the Sch so others  may see what you are restoring. David

Hi and welcome to the Phorum,

>Thoughts on why the C5 was removed ?
Not really but set won't work well at all without it as it's ground return for the osc coil. With just the resistor there would think that would couple ac up to the b- circuit. C5 also provide a ground for the two IF cans which could pickup hum without it connected.

Neutral side of the line should go to the off/on switch on the set.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you for the schematic link ! Holy cow, that 50l6 tube really gets hot !

Working on record player side now. Anyone know where I can find a tilt cartridge for the M22? I've been searching eBay and no luck.

I also have a 51-1330 but mine is still awaiting restoration. Tilt cartridges are virtually impossible to find. Most were crystal carts and went bad years ago. Apparently they did make a ceramic version but I've never been able to find one.

If you pull the radio, please post a picture of the radio circuit. Would like to compare. I have the radio working good. Yep, finding zilch on the web for cartridge replacement.