Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kirk's Philco A52-CK

This has a TH-4 chassis.

So far the speaker is shot. The sad thing is is the voice coil and the magnet - the rust got in, ate away the coil and the paper bobbin, freezing the cone (doesn't even matter). Sad because of both the field and output xfmr are good.

So....Kirk said he'd be looking for a 4" speaker for this one. It is possible that other than alignment this one wouldn't need anything.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Question:

Would the speaker from a 40-125 (it is a field coil one with 500 Ohm coil, and also driven by 35A5 so the output transformer should be the same; but do not know the mechanical challenges that might arise / size, mounting holes etc) fit in this?

Someone is selling a pair of these radios in my corner of the woods; for $50, I might try to knock it down a bit.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

mike
a 40-120, 124, 125, 501or 502 will work

if you can`t get it cheap I have a 40-125 in storage

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Thanks Sam.

It's up to Kirk, if he wants to spend money on it and how much. This radio will need a new speaker; short of re-coning there isn't much that can be done and re-coning price-wise could be more expensive than buying another speaker, even if with radio attached to it Icon_smile

mike sent pm

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Got it, replied.

So...?yestersay when I attempted the power up some magic smlme escaped from some place. I suspect it was a coil. I didn't bother to find out what it is, some RF xfmr though not sure which, maybe oscillator.
I checked continuity, still good.

So I replaced more wires, found some errors.
Today checked the tubes again, some croaked but I have 40-125 now that is a donor of...everything.
So I powered up, and it works. There is a motorboating sone place in the middle of the band, I think I will attempt alignment and see if it improves. Tomorrow.

PS.

The speaker is exact replacement. Seems like all of them used the same one. And the chassis' are not that different from each other.

PPS. This radio is the ROYAL PITA. I HATE IT.

Mike
If it is as easy kirk would do it
Heck I see it and I don't want to do it Icon_thumbdown

mafiamen2

You need to come over and pick up that coffin with the asbestos sheet inside Icon_lol

PS. Kirk does it anyway. First. Before giving it to me. That is one of the problems with this radio Icon_lol

Forgot to add: need to open the volume regulator to fix the switch.
PS. The hope the volume pot could be taken from 40-125 did not materialize: the same exact problem.

Opened the pot, cleaned both the resistor and the switch, closed and soldered over the riveted lugs of the switch: they were a bit loose and this resulted in contact resistance increasing to 300 ohm which could result in losses.
While doing this, had to replace more wiring.

Now it is working OK.

THE END.
PS. Need to really clean up the place: lots of crumbled insulation and even some pieces of asbestos. Icon_smile

good job mike Icon_clap Icon_clap

just throw asbestos and wire bits in kirks radio after all it his right Icon_twisted

sam

mafiamen2

Some of it is yours Icon_smile

I like to share   so give him mine Icon_e_wink

mafiamen2

OK. One asbestos sheet goes to Kirk.