Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 16X dial cord stringing

Hi all,
     I am restoring a 4 band 16X, later version cabinet.  The tuning mechanism needs to be restrung and I would like some info on how the string runs.  The tuning mechanism is of the type that has a Vernier reduction drive, a double pulley on the right side of the assembly, and a large pulley on the dial display mounted to the capacitor shaft.  It is not of the type that you pull out or push in to change the rate ratio.  It does not have any O-rings as some do.   This radio Vernier drive has a large outer shaft for coarse adjustments and a smaller inner shaft for fine adjustment.  I also am assuming that there are no belts involved with this unit drive as the only hint of what WAS there is a piece of rather large dial cord.  Another interesting point is that the large pulley with the dial mounted on the capacitor shaft has teeth in a row around the inner surface of the pulley.  It does not have the usual hooks that you would hook a spring to from the dial cord.  How does THAT work?

Thanks for any help.
Dean
Hesperia, CA

Hi Dean and welcome!
Always nice to have another fellow ham on the Phorum. Is this what you looking for:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=14970
Hey maybe we can work each other in another 3 or 4 yrs them 10 opens back up!

de N3GTE

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Terry,
     Thanks for the reply.  No this is different than the tuner I have.  The drive you refer to is the one that you push in or pull out to change the speed of tuning (Coarse/Fine).  The one I have does not have the two roller wheels with the O-rings.  Mine has the capacitor shaft that has the large dial plate mounted on a pulley that attaches to the capacitor shaft and is turned by a dial string.  The dial string runs around that large pulley, around a small double-pulley mounted on the right side of the assembly and then somehow to the vernier drive assembly that is mounted directly below the the capacitor shaft.  The tuner is tuned by a small inner shaft for fine adjustment and a larger outer shaft for the coarse adjustment.  The tuner is therefore tuned with a double knob, a small knob inside a larger knob.  I have seen a couple of photos of the tuner I have on the net but unfortunately it is just a front and back shot with the large dial plate blocking the view to the area I need to see.  As far as a QSO goes I am on the air a lot and I am sure we will bump into each other.  We are gonna be a while till the next solar cycle kicks in but if you hear me or I hear you lets QSO!

Dean K6DDJ

Welcome Dean. Is this what your looking for? I have a sketch in a note book some where if you can't figure this out by the pictures assuming this is correct.

[Image: http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o654...9mnuip.jpg]

[Image: http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o654...ntlhau.jpg]
[Image: http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o654...emcyeq.jpg]

I had one more pic. BUT when I went back to photobucket there was a complete advertisement when I xd out the whole thing went away. Icon_mad
 Anyway let me know if you need a drawing.

Yes!!!!! This is the exact nightmare I have!  I now see that the original string that was on there was very fat and ran over the drum, the double pulley and then the vernier drive.  If you have a drawing that would just be icing on the cake.  The only last question I have is the view of the string going around the vernier shaft which is not visible.  The cap on the shaft where the string would run through on the vernier drive is .055" and the string remnant I have from the original cord is about .070 diameter.  That would imply that the string did not loop around the vernier shaft but simply jammed in the grove tightly to grip the string and then turn the mechanism.  If you do have a diagram, it would probably verify my guessing.  Thanks soooooooooo much!

Dean K6DDJ

On looking over the pictures I have just noticed that I might have a piece missing from the rear of the vernier drive.  The string has a wide gap as it goes around the vernier pulley.  If I string it exactly like the photos, the string would enter and come out of the pulley with a very small separation from top to bottom run.  I know I am not describing this very well, but it looks like I might be missing a pulley or rubber type grommet of some sort that the string goes around on the shaft of the vernier drive rear.  If this is the case I can figure something else out to take it's place.

Dean

I'll see if I can find my drawing. If its not enough I will pull the chassis of mine and try to get you a clearer picture.
Give me a little time to check and will get back to you.

You're the best, thanks!
Dean

Welcome to the Phorum Dean!!
Icon_wave

Not very good at drawing hope this makes sense. Let me know if you need pic.
[Image: http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o654...x8eml9.jpg]

The drawing is just perfect.  I believe I have all the info I was missing.  I have ordered the large dial cord string (.054) and with this diagram I think I'm good to go.  I thank you so much for the info.  If it wasn't for this forum I would be guessing at everything.  

Sincerely,
Dean K6DDJ

Please do not longform quote entire posts.

They are not necessary and make replies hard to read.

Use your Quick Reply box or click the black New Reply button to reply to posts.

Thank you.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,
    I have looked and can't seem to find a quick reply box or a black new reply button.  Where are they?  The only button available that I can find are 1: Post Reply, 2: Preview Post, and 3: Save as Draft.

Dean

See below.

Also read the How-To at the link below. The Phorum's looks have changed since I wrote this up, but the information is still the same:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=4562

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ok, I think I have figured it out if this reply is all by itself without quoting previous replies.  Here is what I have been doing:  After posting the initial thread, I was emailed to my email address that someone had posted a reply for me.  I clicked on the link in that email and it took me to the thread where I answered by typing it in on the last reply and then clicking reply.  At no time did the quick reply, or other choices appear for me to choose.  The only time those choices come up is, if instead of clicking on the email link,  you go to the forum homepage, and from there select the thread and then scroll down to read the reply.  There you get the buttons you refer to.  If you simply follow the link in the emails that that are sent to alert you to a reply, you are taken to a spot where you can reply, but it does not give you the other choices you refer to.  I hope I have explained what I have found OK.  
Dean