Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My beater 38-62 project

Hi,

I've posted some before and in-progress pictures on Flickr of a pretty rough 38-62 that I've been working on.

When I got it, it was inop not only due to the electrolytics being bad, but someone had removed a resistor. Physically, the speaker wiring was shot, and the speaker itself had several rips and holes in it. The finish on the cabinet was flaking off, though the Di-Noc panel was in reasonably good shape. Of course, all of the screws holding the chassis into the cabinet were missing, as is one of the speaker mounting "studs".

Getting it to the point shown in these photos has taken a couple of weeks worth of evenings and weekends, not too bad considering the extent of the work. I replaced all the electrolytic and paper caps, most of the resistors, and any bad wiring. I also did cleaned and re-lubed the dial reduction mechanism, cleaned all the controls, and the rest of the usual stuff. The radio didn't fight me at all, it was actually very cooperative, and now plays like nobody's business!

I'm still looking for a few parts for it and need to rub out the lacquer and install the grille-cloth before I call it done, but it's on the bench and playing until then.

I hope someone will enjoy the photos, and I'll post more as time permits. And, If anyone has an extra dial escutcheon and glass for this bugger, please let me know!

Oh yeah, The pics are at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/n8nm/

Happy New Year!

Steve Murphy

Very nice job Steve! Thanks for posting the photos!! Enjoy your vintage Philco!! Icon_wink

Steve: I may have a decent dial bezel. I'll check.

E-mail directly if you want.

Hi Doug,

That would be great, please let me know.

I see you're in Ortonville, so we're practically neighbors (I'm in Waterford). Will you be at the MARC meet in Farmington next weekend?

Thanks!

Steve