Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Apex 11

I picked up this 1930 Apex model 11 tonight locally. My interest was sparked when I realized the tube lineup is just two 24s
short of my Philco 90. It has 2 ea. 24, 27, 45 and one 80. With a 12" Magnavox speaker I bet it will sound pretty good. For
$50 I figure I can't go wrong.

[Note from admin - Sorry, photos no loger available.]

I flipped the exterior pic on photobucket so don't ask why it's lying down.

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

That has to be the biggest of the Apex sets. They were made by U.S. Radio and Television, in Marion, Indiana, if memory serves. That compny later was acquired by William C. Grunow, and was re-named General Household Utilities. The radios were then marketed as Grunow radios.

Both the US R&T and Grunow sets were very good radios. They were not unduly complex, and aleays easy to service. The set will surely sound very good, with those push-pull 45's, driving that Maggie speaker.

Doug, the metal "Screen Grid" tag lists Chicago as the address for USR&T, as does the ad introducing this model in Alan Douglas' Vol.1. However, in his
opening Apex remarks he states that all radios were produced at the Marion plant, so perhaps Chicago is a headquarters address.

The same ad references an eight tube model 115 "high-gain neutrodyne" circuit for the same price with five 27s, two 45s and one 80. I have no idea which
is considered the better outfit.

I am surprised to find the word television in a 1930 company name. I assumed most people were not familiar with the term.

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN