Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

new to resto

I am new to a complete resto but I have worked a40-130 electronicly before. I have a chance to get a 38-10 for cheap. It is a father an son thing. I am great on the electrical end and my dad can work wonders with wood. Is the 38-10 a good canidate for a complete resto? All the parts are there, it needs to have the caps replaced and the dial replaced since it is weathered from the light from all the years of use. What does everyone think? I can get the radio from a friend for probably $45.00.

Daniel

PS I am not new to restoring old things. I run Hydrodyners.com a site dedicated to old Hydrodyne boats and have a fully restored 1973 (In boat years that is pretty old).

Hi Daniel, and welcome.

If you can handle a 40-130 and all of its rubber-covered wiring, in which the rubber hardens and falls off the wires...then a 38-10 will be a piece of cake. Go for it. The 1938 models were the last USA Philcos to use cloth-covered wiring under the chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Welcome aboard Daniel. Icon_smile

Go for it! When you're done, you'll have a nice playing radio with that great classic look!

I just did one of those chassis a few months ago, and it's pretty straightforward, no big surprises electronically or mechanically. Take your time and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck and enjoy!

Steve Murphy