Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any IDea what this is???

I've scanned the gallery and don't see it -- not even sure if it's a Philco or not. Being sold in an estate auction tomorrow and, obviously, has made a good place on which to store/hide crap... Icon_eek

Please let me know if you know what it is. Thanks in advance.

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

It is a Victor, and appears to be an RE-45 if I'm not mistaken. Doug Houston could fill you in on more details, I'm sure.

I used to own an RE-45; it is now owned by a friend of mine who restored it completely, radio AND phonograph, and it plays very well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron. I did some searching and you're right. I've seen varying info on the web about the value, or often lack thereof, of the radio/phono combos. But, I'm still a novice at this. I'm going to go look at it and see what all is inside and overall condition. Are these very collectible?

I think I sent this question too soon, my apology if so. I did some more research and seems this model isn't very valuable due to the high production numbers. But, if I get it for $20 or so...... Icon_wink

When purchasing something such as this, one must also consider the intangibles in the equation: namely, the joy it can bring you; the irritation of trying to fix it; thrill of the chase; the explanations to one's spouse about hauling another "carcass" home... Icon_lol

Fortunately, my roommate's folks have given me the two old radios I have, so he can't say diddly-poo about it.

DeckApe Wrote:...the explanations to one's spouse about hauling another "carcass" home... Icon_lol
I guess I'm not alone on this one. This is probably the one reason why I don't yet have a console radio to restore. Table radios and portable radios are fun to collect, but I am ready to move to something bigger. Icon_exclaim

They aren't hugely valuable anymore, a few years back some were trying to pass the amplifier/power supply chassis off as Western Electric units but I think that the Japanese audiophools have caught on to that scam so the premium has dried up for them.That being said the amplifiers are very good, and the sound is decent for that era. On the other hand the circuitry is somewhat antiquated in the tuner chassis in that it uses type 26 tubes,(I think that Philco went to type 24s in 1929) but because of the microsycronous tuner arrangement they are quite selective and the dial tracks pretty accurately. Good to see any console with doors that has not been converted into a bar or china cabinet. They are extremely heavy, even but the standards of 1929-30, I think that Victor and Grigsby Grunow engineers must have been paid by the pound, be careful moving it around.
Happy New Year
Arran

Thanks guys. I checked it out and - as seemingly good as the outside appeared in photo for restoration - the guts were looked like just that - guts! Oh well, thanks for the helpful feedback.

Scooby, i'm pretty new to this but have a dozen+ tabletops and now 4 consoles. Working on the consoles is much more fulfilling - in my humble opinion. The good ones are really works of art. You should keep an eye out for a good buy and try one.

Well now, here I am. If you're not going to spring for it, somebody is going to nget a mighty fine radio-phono combination.

Yes, there were a lot of them sold, because it was one of the finest radios of the 1929 model year. That's why there are still a few surviving. From the picture, the cabinet looks like it's nice, and here's hopes that it'as nice as it seems to be. These sets were in wide use through WW II, and some time after. When I was in my teens, it was sort of a holy grail to me, and I was in my glory when I finally found one. The audio in them was far ahead of its time.

Like most consoles, it weighs a lot more than a little squawky plastic table (top) radio. The price could go as high as about $150, but anything below that would be a good deal.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the feedback. I did have high hopes for this set, but the components were in very poor condition and they were firm on a $150 price tag. After reading your feedback, I feel even better about not diving into this one - but will keep my eye out for another!

Best Regards,

Joe