Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 20 - variable capacitor tuning
Music 

Great progress report.

I recoiled the middle coil as you predicted. My recoil job was not anywhere as nice as the original but i did as many turns as to match the original coil. To me it was sloppy but no overlapping. ANYWAY it works great!!

Thanks for the advice.  I wouldn't be done without it.  On to a model 70 at my next avaiable auction.  I'd like to have the threesome (I have Model 20, deluxe, Model 90 among others) I want 20/70/90). My Philco 52 still has coil issues but now i feel i can return to that issue.

"Sound like a bad rf coil. Fortunately the primary (the smaller winding) of these coil is untuned so the number of turns isn't super critical. It most of the time is the outer winding on coil. Original is most likely 38ga magnet wire but any thing from 38 to 30 will work fine. You can approximate the # of turns by the size of the original winding, it's probably 20-50 turns. Unlike the osc coil in the the superhet sets direction doesn't matter."

Thanks again!
Rich

Messages In This Thread
Philco Model 20 schematic by Ron? - by winston763 - 02-19-2017, 12:56 AM
RE: Philco 20 - variable capacitor tuning - by winston763 - 02-21-2017, 01:54 AM
RE: Philco Model 20 schematic by Ron? - by sam - 02-20-2017, 11:21 AM