Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60 Oscillator with a Weird Problem

Sorry for the long delay but I took another look at this radio last week. I took the re-worked coil and counted the windings. I had 18 turns instead of 17 so I removed the extra turn and then solder it back up. No luck here. It didn't respond to "jump starting" either. So the owner had me look at cannibalizing a coil from another Philco he had laying around. This coil passed the continuity check and so I removed it with its C13 and R14 and looked at it more closely. I peeled back the friction tape covering the feedback windings and counted 17 sloppy turns of 33 gauge wire around a friction tape barrier. This re-work was ancient. I made the swap then turned on the radio and IT WORKED!! I was able to pick up stations loud and clear across the entire dial. I'm going in tomorrow to align it.

The owner and I began to theorize what went wrong with my re-worked coil. Could it be the high impedance from the 38 gauge wire? Although it was neatly wound and the direction was right, the windings were at a slight angle to those underneath. We guessed that the impedance is so high or off that the oscillation would not start. Regardless after removing the extra turn I just could not get it to oscillate at all even with a "jump start". We're planning to re-work this coil with thicker wire like 33 gauge and then install it in the other Philco when it comes time to re-cap that.

Thanks everyone.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 60 Oscillator with a Weird Problem - by whirligig - 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM