Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Push button switches on 40-190

Hello all
Do the 8 push button switches need any kind of lube? I have cleaned the switch contacts using a contact cleaner. They cleaned up very well. The push buttons work well they lock in and release okay. Also on the tuner there are some ball bearing, is it a good idea to put some kind of grease on these?
Thanks Bob

Hello Bob. For the ball-bearings on the tuner section (variable capacitor), you can just spray a small amt of WD-40 into the bearings and the other frame points where the cap rotates, then rotate the tuner assy manually until it rotates freely and easily. Do this while set is unplugged & not operating. Remove the excess WD-40 overspray with clean paper towel or Q-tips. You should be good to go.

I use a little Lubriplate for bearings and switch contacts. Leaves a thin film of lubricant on the switch/control that I think lasts longer than WD40. Product has been around for years.

Harv

mandh Wrote:I use a little Lubriplate for bearings and switch contacts. Leaves a thin film of lubricant on the switch/control that I think lasts longer than WD40. Product has been around for years.
I never thought of using Lubriplate in a radio. I believe I have a tube of it left from an engine rebuild. Great idea. Thanks for posting it. Icon_smile

Thank you all
Got the tuner all clean and freed up. The Lubriplate sound like a good idea. Where would I get this from?
Bob

Bob Wrote:Thank you all
Got the tuner all clean and freed up. The Lubriplate sound like a good idea. Where would I get this from?
Bob
I get mine from an auto parts store in my area. It is sometimes used to lubricate new bearings when rebuilding an engine. It protects the bearings until the engine can pump oil through the passageways to the bearings.

Hello all
I was able to get some Lubriplate. I used it on the switch contacts and the tuner ball bearings. It make a big difference on the switches, they seam to work nice and easy and snap on/off real nice.
Thanks Again
Bob

BTW, when applying lube. I like to do it sparingly. I also use a q-tip to apply it. That way it isn't getting sprayed all over the chassis or dial.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Bob Wrote:Hello all
I was able to get some Lubriplate. I used it on the switch contacts and the tuner ball bearings. It make a big difference on the switches, they seam to work nice and easy and snap on/off real nice.
Thanks Again
Bob
Glad the Lubriplate worked for you! Icon_smile