Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

An Original Philco Hippo

I just bought this Philco Hippo for $20.00..
 I have recapped it  and everything under the chassis was original, and it has the original back.
   I cleaned the cabinet with a degreaser, then used the old brasso on it .. I gave it a coat of Renaissance
wax. and it's done. It is the best hippo I have SEEN.
  I would like to know  what wattages of bulb should be in the radio? .. I don't want it to get too hot under there.
  Thanks  Dan in Calgary .

I can't wait for spring to get here as I have 10 cabinets to get stripped  and refinished.

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Bulb number 47, please do not run the radio without a pilot light very hard on the rect tube. Nice Job on the cabinet. David

Dan, great job!

The wattage.....these are typically 1W or so.
I get the number from the fact that 6.3V time 0.15A is about 1W.
This size bulb won't get it too hot under there.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I believe that the bulb for this radio is 110 volts, as it is the same size as a Christmas light bulb. I will do a check and get back to you guys..
 Dan in Calgary

It cannot be 110V.

It is plugged between the 35Z5 filament's pins 2 and 3 which are one end and the pilot tap. Considering the filament itself is 35V, the tap voltage when unloaded is 15V, when loaded - 5V so the bulb is likely to be 5-6V.

This is I think the same for 46-420 or 46-460 versions.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

#47 would be 6V, I have a hippo, fairly certain that is what it has. Mine not so pretty, lost the Philco label somewhere along the line.

Paul

Tubetalk1

OH NO,,,DON'T POKE THE BEE HIVE,,,,,THESE GENTLEMEN KNOW THIER STUFF,,,,THANK YOU,,

Kenneth. I believe them, that is why I asked the question about the bulb.
 Thanks  Dan in Calgary

Dan;
  It seems to depend on the code number, and production run, as to what pilot lamp the Hippo models use, some use a G.E #47 or equivalent, others use a 120 V night light type bulb. I think that the sets that used a 35Z3 (Loctal) used the 120 Volt night light bulb, basically a Christmas light bulb, since the 35Z3s don't have a pilot light tap on the filament. In any event they sell LED substitutes for night light bulbs in Walmart and some other stores, that would eliminate the potential melting plastic issue these sometimes get.
Regards
Arran

Thank you Arran
 Mine has a large screw socket and I can put in a LED night light , but it is too large to fit  in the space where a little smaller bulb would go. The LED night light is just a tad too wide.
 I will post some photos of the socket and set up I have .
  Dan in Calgary

This radio has a dial light that uses 110 volts..
It is a Canadian model   very similar to the 46-420,BUT it is not the same radio.
  I have had other philco radios that used 110 volts
  Sometimes Philco did some funny things with the models that they shipped out or were made for or in Canada.
    something like Rogers mixes up the models with Majestic and Deforest Crosley.

It is hard to find some models at times.
 Here are some photos of the dial light assembly.   originally I wanted to know what wattage should I use
for the dial light so it would not get real hot.

Thanks for the clarification  Arran 
  Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

Dan your rect tube looks to be something other than a 35Y4. The standard night light is 7 watts but you can find clear 4 watt bulbs or just leave it out. Could you please give a list of all tubes in your set. Thanks David

The tubes in this radio are ,,,,,,,,35Z5, 14AF7, 7B7,   7B7, 7C6  and 50L6
  Dan in Calgary.

I have a GE that has a bulb like that, put in a Red One for Christmas!
GE202.

Paul

Tubetalk1

It is strange that they used 35Z5 and then did not utilized the filament pilot lamp tap.....