Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-60 Gonna be a lot of Trouble

I finally finished this set a couple of days ago.   I needed to:

1) Get the speaker re-coned.
2) Install new veneer on the top.  First time for me.
3) Perform some rather significant cabinet repairs, as the cabinet itself and various parts of the veneer were literally coming unglued.
4) Replace the open antenna transformer. I decided to buy a replacement from AES.  Seems to work great.
5) Install a new photo finish on the front. First time for me.
6) Recap and re-carbon as usual.

This was probably the most difficult restore I've done so far.  At times it really challenged my patience.  I actually had to remove the RF sub-chassis twice because of a boneheaded move I made Icon_redface   The mounting bracket for the shortwave antenna coil had broken at some point in the past, so I fashioned a new way to mount it.  What I didn't realize until I had it all back together and tried aligning the SW band, was that my mounting bracket actually shorted out the SW antenna coil.  I never even looked to see if that might be happening!  In order to undo what I had done, I had to take it ALL...BACK...APART...ugggghhhh!!!

Thankfully, that is all in my rear view mirror now and overall, I am happy with the result.  It receives great on both bands.  Here are a couple of photos

A big thank you for everyone's input throughout.
Jon

Messages In This Thread
38-60 Gonna be a lot of Trouble - by PAradiogeek - 03-18-2017, 12:24 PM
RE: 38-60 Gonna be a lot of Trouble - by morzh - 10-01-2017, 09:09 PM
RE: 38-60 Gonna be a lot of Trouble - Finished - by PAradiogeek - 10-17-2017, 09:08 PM
RE: 38-60 Gonna be a lot of Trouble - by morzh - 10-17-2017, 09:48 PM