Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Vernier shaft repair

Has anyone re-attached the little ball bearing to the end of the vernier shaft from a 38-116 dial? Mine was broken during shipment. Perhaps it was welded or soldered but I can't tell. Thought a repair attempt is in order in case I can't locate a replacement. Any ideas on how to do this will be greatly appreciated.
Curt

I'm thinking that if it is like the other Philco drives it might not need to be attached. Needs to be in place, however. Many similar drives have the bearing loose down in the bottom of the shaft.

Thanks for that thought. It seems the ball would not have to be attached if spring pressure was sufficient to cause the ball to rotate when the vernier shaft was turned.I thought it was attached after reading Philco service hint 39for model 38-8 which shows the ball attached to the shaft. Perhaps both versions were used.I'll try to get it to work unattached if I can straighten the pinion gear shaft.

That little ball is not attached. It's held in through spring pressure against the shaft.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

OK thanks for resolving the little ball issue, it is not attached to the vernier shaft. Now I need to straighten the brass pinion shaft. My initial thoughts on how to do this would be to place a flat steel strip on the bow and gently hammer it straight.As I have no experience straightening shafts would appreciate comments from knowledgeable restorers.

Hmmm, that can be touchy with brass. I would use a flat steel surface. Then, a light small brass headed hammer. Lightly tap around the bend while slowly rotating the shaft. Be very careful not to distort the shaft. BTW, if you don't have a small brass hammer, any small one will do. But I'd be extra careful.

Some people would use a bulldozer to uncover a China cup. Others would use a wisp brush to dig a tunnel. Depends on your touch Icon_mrgreen

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones

Brian, I'll do it as you suggest;have small hammer.Thanks much.
Curt

dixierat Wrote:OK thanks for resolving the little ball issue, it is not attached to the vernier shaft. Now I need to straighten the brass pinion shaft. My initial thoughts on how to do this would be to place a flat steel strip on the bow and gently hammer it straight.As I have no experience straightening shafts would appreciate comments from knowledgeable restorers.

How in the Dickens did it get bent? Don't tell me...must have been during shipping,

Ex, something as simple as dropping it while on the bench. Or my personal favorite, stepping on a volume pot shaft and snapping it off. Due to the fact the set was on the floor. Ad to the fact you're a 6'4" 300 lb gorilla who can't see below the knee's Icon_rolleyes Thank God it was a Zenith, or Ron would've had my ar$$ Icon_mrgreen

-Brian

The 38-116 was shipped in 2 cartons and the cabinet arrived w/o a scratch. Chassis was in a box that contained one inch of styrafoam {sp} all around.Box was wraped with several layers of film.Apparently box was dropped on dial side of box resulting in dial compressing foam to a thin layer and putting dent in box:no penetration.Large tuning knob was broken, brass pinion shaft was bent at 30 degree angle where it exited holder, and vernier shaft cup that compresses ball was flattened on one side. Need to get that fixed also. Most damage I have experienced with a radio shipment.On the bright side I now a radio I've lusted after for years.
Curt

umm, have you ever considered contacting the shipping company responsible for your damaged item? Perhaps their $100. insurance ( UPS, Fedex, etc, type guaranteed automatic insurance coverage up to $110 value) on ANY item, vintage or not, would be acceptible to you? Might be worth consideration, as if you fillout the proper paperwork with shipping company, may yield you enough settlement $ to buy another similar Philco parts set chassis on ebay in the future? You will need a person from their insurance program to visually-inspect your item & the box it was shipped to you in. Just a idea! Icon_wink

Ouch Curt,
Sounds like you are definitely in the market for a complete new shaft. Even if you hammer it all out even the slightest imperfections can turn into a noticeable 'bump' when tuning.

Wish I had thought about filing a claim earlier but the box has been trashed and the brass shaft straightened. It still has some eccentric rotation but may work until I can acquire a used part.Next step is to reassemble the parts. First attempt failed as pinion shaft would not slide into housing past the ball bearings because they rested onthe spring causing the bearings to jam against the housing.Will try again tomorrow. I have service bulletin 273; it describes how to take the drive apart but is a little weak on reassembly. It seems to me all 4 bearings must be aligned and the spring compressed to get the assembly into the housing.Any tips on how to do this will be greatly appreciated.
Curt

Im not sure this true story"info" will help heal shipping wounds or not. I dont mean any disrespect to your situation at all! All us vintage Radio collectors/restorers folks sometimes never think about the " bigger" picture sometimes when items are damaged by UPS,Fedex,etc. It DOES happen!! And remember, most carriers are only subject to law by providing $100-$110 MAX insurance on any item considered by the courts as "vintage, un-replacable items". I used to work for a still very highly-respected, Vintage Guitar Dealer, in Dallas, that started the Greater Southwest Guitar Shows over the many yrs since its inception in the late 1970s at Dallas Convention Center. Many,many thousands of people now attend this show annually!
No dis-respect intended to vintage Radios collectors/restorers, however, we once shipped a vintage all orig 1968 Fender Strat, once owned by Eric Clapton when he played with Delaney, Bonnie, & Friends Band,.. the ( Bramlett Family),...sold to a vintage guitar collector in Chicago. The rare guitar sold by telephone call for over $ 40.000 to the collector sight-unseen!! We shipped it UPS.( insured without full knowledge of UPS ins- regulations).We paid for $40.000 insurance!! That cost MUCH more than reg shipping price! In the shipping process, ( remember the guitar was also in its orig Fender hardshell case) ....somehow got ran over by a irresponsible UPS forklift driver in a warehouse somewhere between Dallas & Chicago!The guitar neck, & case was severed in half! A very, very rare guitar turned into rubble by UPS!! The shipment went into court-action, and UPS won! ( via, their fine print on their insurance policy)!!
Out of all the 100s of guitars we shipped back then, the "Big Dog" got damaged!! Lessons learned the hard way! NEVER TRUST shipping companies!!,... period!!
Just be glad you didnt lose $40 Gs in your investment! Philco dial parts can still be found! 68 Strats cant be replaced !, period! NEVER throw away your shipping boxes,those are your only "proof"! But then again, your shipper was only responsible for up to $110. ( incl shipping chgs) in their fine-print shipping agreements from the getgo.
I have had similar vintage radio items damaged from shipping. Those parts can usually be replaced. You wont find many orig 1968 Fender Strat neck replacements anywhere these days. Philcos were "plentiful", and Im sure you will be able to get your radio probs worked out. Sounds like you have the Philco shaft realigned abit, and most likely will have a positive outcome from a bad shipping experience. Unfortunately, that stuff happens to all us from time to time. Best of luck on everything!!

The Eric Clapton guitar incident makes my damaged radio look insignificant; it certainly helps my perspective. Thanks much for the insight.Yes, progress is being made on the repair. Reassembly is complete and the main tuning works but is "rough". Vernier does not work because of slight missalignment.I'll keep looking for parts.
Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and empathy.
Curt