Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1936 Philco Radio Bar featured in Humphrey Bogart's "One Fatal Hour"

I spotted a beauty of a radio bar in the Humphrey Bogart film "One Fatal Hour" on TMC. Interesting film, too. All about ethical issues in that new-fangled radio business.

Charlie in San Antonio

You missed the late 1936 model 60B at the news stand and the 17X. The 60B has a close up shot but a few seconds later it morphs into a small cathedral (not Philco I think).
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21hhcx

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I just saw that today, in fact the majority of the movies on TCM today seemed to be on a radio broadcast theme. I did see the RadioBar, but I also saw a 1932-33 vintage Philco X console with an inclined sound board, it may have been a model 17X. The film was a little too melodramatic in my opinion, and I highly doubt whether even a real slimeball of a radio station, and it's employees, would do such things back then as their lawyer would be blowing his stack about the libel suits, as well as the FCC/FRC taking their license away.
Regards
Arran

Here it is

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Did anyone record that movie? I would like to have a copy.

Tim KA3JRT

Click on the link on the second post.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Wow! A little less than stellar performances.  Did like the Radio Bar, though.  I want one, but only willing to pay double original retail.

Quote rfeenstra: "Wow! A little less than stellar performances.  Did like the Radio Bar, though.  I want one, but only willing to pay double original retail."

I concur, though I don't think that Bogey's part was a less then stellar performance, but like the early 80s rendition of Scarface, most of the movie was a pile of fromage aside from Al Pachino's performance carrying the film. I also agree with you regarding the Radiobar, but I would like an inclined sounding board "X" model Philco more, possibly a model 115X, though a 16X would do nicely as well. I've only seen one on the market nearish to me, it was a model 91X (or was it 391X?) the set was a basket case, trashed speakers, no knobs or escutcheon, and too far away, most Canadian Philco cabinets seem to have been low or highboys, even as late as 1936.
Regards
Arran

And then there is this 1937 Philco Bar radio on eeevilPay for a modest $29,999.00 or best offer which translates to $39,362.00 worthless Canuckastan Beaver Pelts. For that price it better be fully stocked with boooooze to drink oneself unconscious after shoveling out that much coin.

And my pictures didn't appear to upload. The joy of smart phones.