Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16B low volume

Hi guy's,
  After recapping my 16B I'm pulling in all kinds of stations but at a volume level much lower than it should be. The tubes all check out, pins and sockets are clean and the volume control checks out. I'm not an electrical guy, I can find stuff and replace it but I'm really at a loss as to how it all works. Any ideas what and how to check?

Thanks, Brett

Hi Brett,

Have you realigned it? That can greatly affect the volume of the set even if it is in working condition otherwise.

These books have instructions for aligning most Philco receivers:
Complete Instructions for Adjusting All Philco Receivers - Vol. 1
Complete Instructions for Adjusting All Philco Receivers - Vol. 2

The service bulletin should also have detailed instructions.

-Nathan

Yep, second Nathan's thought, align it first.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(03-23-2017, 11:40 AM)Nathan Slingerland Wrote:  Have you realigned it?

I have not. I do have two signal generators but I have no idea how to calibrate them or check them for accuracy. I do not have an output meter though. I also have alignment tools but I have never aligned a radio. I have tried on several occasions to do it by ear but each time I've returned the adjustment screws to their original positions and left it at that. Thanks for the info the first few pages explained it better to me than anything else so far.