Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70 flute colorization question

Quote:Do you see an issue if I substitute clear gloss lacquer for the Mohawk pre catalyzed clear before spraying the flutes (because that's what I have on hand) ? I assume that 'Mohawk pre catalyzed clear' is what you mean by clear in your write up ?
When I say "clear", I'm referring  to clear lacquer. I use Watco brand because it is available locally. I buy my lacquer in gallon cans and apply with a spray gun. Clear lacquer will work fine to seal the columns before spraying the toner.

Quote:I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around spraying toner on top of clear (lacquer?)
The columns will require less sanding to remove the toner if sealed first. Without sealing, the toner will get into scratches and minor imperfections and require more sanding.

Quote:Also, why are you spraying clear on the face front after you colorize the speaker cutout edges on that build of the cabinet, before using toner ?

For the same reason as the columns, I want the face of the front panel as smooth as possible before spraying the edges. Any open grain or other imperfections make sanding the toner more difficult. Sanding the toner off almost always results in "sand through" in a few spots. I spray two or three coats of clear, followed by a light sanding before the toner. I like to have a perfectly smooth finish before applying the toner. The reason, you must not sand the toner coats. If you sand the toner, you will have an uneven shade. Follow the toner with more clear. When sanding the final clear, be careful not to sand through.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 70 flute colorization question - by Steve Davis - 04-06-2017, 12:00 AM