Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70 flute colorization question

Quote:I am assuming you don't use filler on the front ?

Grain filler is only required on the "open grain" wood which includes the Walnut front panel and the wraparound. The veneer on the front arch is Oriental wood, also an open grain. The columns, base moulding and the edges of the arch do not require grain filling.

Quote:Does using grain filler on the arch negate the requirement for clear lacquer coats prior to the toner, or should clear lacquer go over the filler like the front before toner?

I prefer to spray clear before the toner. I like to have a perfect finish before spraying the toner. This is to minimize sanding after the toner, "sand through" is always a danger, if it happens before the toner, no big deal. If it happens after the toner, it IS a big deal!.

I just want to add, if you ask six restorers how to finish a cabinet, you will get six different answers. I am self taught and some of the things I do may not be the best way. I hope others will post their ideas.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 70 flute colorization question - by Steve Davis - 04-06-2017, 09:49 AM