Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

570 Grandfather

I am working on a 570 that I recieved for free. The cabinet was is pretty bad shape with the sides pretty much delaminated. I have reglued and looks pretty good considering. Due to a lot of scratches, and how dried out the finish was, I scraped the entire cabinet. To even out the appearance I wiped on some red mahogany stain.

Questions:

1. The top finial is broken with part of the very top missing. I am planning on turning a replacement but am not sure of the overall length and what the top part looks like. Does anyone have a close up pic or sketch that would assist me? The photo I have from the net is not clear enough.

2. I see a lot of "restored" pics of radios where laquer is sprayed which results in the shiny look (original I believe). Would I be in grave error if I used several coats of a wipe on poly that I am more familiar with. I prefer less shine.

By the way I now have the radio working fine after recapping and winding a coil.

Thanks.

Poly is a no-no if you ever want to sell it and brush on lacquer is as easy as brush on poly and if you want you can wet sand the lacquer to get a nice smooth finish. I don't think I would use poly since I have never found using either spray or brush on lacquer a problem.

Stude is right on the money, marv. Stains will never give the overall uniform color that you get from toning (tinted) lacquer. And for your final coats of clear, you can obtain semi-gloss and satin lacquer as well as the glossy type.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello,

I have a 1931 Philco 570 Grandfather clock, but it is missing the radio, the knobs as well as the backlite plate. What would you consider charging to make a clay or plaster mold of your backlite plate on your clock? I'm running out of options to have a reproduction made and finding an existing one is seeming impossible. I'd really like to get something made to at least place in there and I thought about making a mold copy from an existing one. Thank you for any consideration. Layne Chartrand of Troy, Missouri. 314-777-0587.

Hi and welcome, Blackflagger.

Have you tried Old-Time Replications? I believe they reproduce the knobs as well as the escutcheon for your radio.

http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/

I believe there are other sources for reproduction escutcheons? I know there are other sources for the knobs. Look here:

http://www.philcoradio.com/resourceb.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you, Ron! I've not tried for the escutcheon. I did have luck with reproduction rosette knobs at (6.25 each). I will contact them on that. I sure hope they have it; that would be absolutely awsome!!! Thank you so much for the help! Layne!!! This is an EXCELLENT forum!