Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-690 electronics restoration.

Wll post some photos tomorrow.
I did the nastiest caps in the Power/Amp chassis.

First I restuffed the two backelite blocks. As in the 37-116, they had eyelets flooded with solder - no easy restuffing. I mean,  I did not spend an hour but the process was messy. In the second cap what I did, I unsoldered and unwrapped the lead wires and then after one or two suctions from the eyelets I heated them 'till the tar bubbled and filled the eyelet, then I quickly pulled the wire ip while wiggling it just a little, and so it centered with the tar around and the rest of the solder displaced.
Still too much trouble.
I do realize Philco did not have restuffing in mind but still can't see why they started flooding the eyelets.

Then came what I thought would be the worst: the tubular metall shell 1uF cap for  the tweeters.
I used cutters to start unrolling the edge, proceeding with needle nose pliers, then pulled the metal cover and used a corkscrew to extract the tarred roll. It came out very easy with no heat.
After that I put a polyester audio cap I happened to have around, which also fitted the size ideally,  inside, potted the top, put the cover back and replaced it in the chassis. Whew.

Here I put a paper circular piece to keep the molten plastic from hurting the cap.

Now just the conventional paper tubulars and can lytics remain; tomorrow I'll tackle those.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Philco 38-690 electronics restoration. - by morzh - 04-12-2017, 07:19 PM
RE: Philco 38-690 electronics restoration. - by morzh - 05-06-2017, 08:15 PM