Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-170cs cabinet crack help needed

(05-04-2017, 02:41 AM)bastardbus Wrote:  I glued up the base of the radio cabinet yesterday and fabbed-installed new glue blocks.  Now the cabinet is nice and secure. I bought and used a strap clamp for fixing the cracks and used it to secure the bottom when gluing and it worked GREAT.

Closer look at the cracks and a couple are all the way through the wood substrate not just the veneer.  So regardless of re-veneering those cracks have to be repaired-glued before refinished OR new veneer is placed over the top.  I have glued similar cracks on the waterfall of a B.F. Goodrich Mantola wood table top and it has help up great the past couple years.  On that Mantola I built a wooden mold to fit inside the curve and clamped-glued the crack up, worked great but was far easier to access then the cracks on this radio.  That is going to be the issue.

I think I am going to try molding some acrylic plexiglass to the correct curve of the corner and use it as a cull or form when reglue-clamping the crack down.  Seen this done guitars with great results (see the link I posted previously).

T

+1 or however many times I have tried this.

The problem is structural. Lack of support in the bend. A repair will have to address this problem and all of the cracked layers will need to be replaced. OR one day the crack will be back. Depending on the  environment, the glue and clamp repairs usually last a year or two before the crock becomes visible again. Cracks look much worse on a refinished cabinet.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Messages In This Thread
RE: 40-170cs cabinet crack help needed - by Arran - 05-02-2017, 09:38 PM
RE: 40-170cs cabinet crack help needed - by Phlogiston - 06-15-2017, 10:05 AM
RE: 40-170cs cabinet crack help needed - by Arran - 06-15-2017, 10:52 PM