Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 70 and Electrolytics

Hi Everyone,

I'm still working on my model 70.I've just finished replacing the capacitors in the blocks and I wanted to check in on the two Wet Electrolytics before I get started on them. I've read the instructions on the Repair Bench and it looks like I will need a 6uF at 400V and a 10 uF at 475V capacitor to do the repair. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I read a previous posting that I think Ron made that said you could just buy both at 450volts. Did I understand that correctly and is that what is best?

One other question, does anyone have a preference of a place to purchase these? I'm going to look to see if I can pick them up locally but, I'm not sure I will be able to. I've ordered some things from Just Radios, and he was really great to deal with, but because this will be a smaller order I was hoping to cut down on the shipping from Canada.

Mike

If it were a 500V electrolytic that might present a problem but two 450V of the correct uf rating should do. You can purchase caps from various places, I think both Ron and the repair bench have links. I purchase mine from ebay, along with just radios and Radio Daze. Modern caps are rated at least 10% surge over rated capacity so for a 450 volt cap you are looking at about 495v. Syl posted a nice way to rebuild caps where you screw the top on and it looks rather neat and easy to do. Check ebay item 380096414578, I have purchased from him many times on many items and his prices are fair.

49stud663, thanks for the info and for the ebay suggestion. Syls idea looks pretty good too. I'm not sure which direction I'll go yet, but I'm looking forward to hearing this thing play!

Hi Mike,

6uf is not a standard value anymore. The caps in that radio are not too critical though. You can just use 10uf/450v electrolytics for both of those. As far as purchasing them is concerned, I usually wait until I need quite a few capacitors and order all at the same time, so as to minimize the shipping costs.

Regards,

Ed

Thanks Ed. I wondered why 6 uF was so hard to track down. And you are right, I should have ordered these with the other capacitors, but hind site is 20-20 in this case. This is my first attempt at a restoration, so I'm learning as I go. I decided to order a dozen of them and figured I'd have a few on hand when I move on to the next project. Thanks again for the help, I hope to report that I hear music coming from it soon.

I can still find 4.7's and 6.8's if you really want close to 6uf you can use the 6.8's or go with 10's. I do the same also, purchase 5-10 or so of each common rating so I have some stock and to reduce shipping costs.