Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA battery radio

Hello I have a RCA 65BR9. I wonder what is being used for a battery to power these radios. It has a Willard ER34-2 in the radio now. I read about a guy that bought some of these new any one see that? I would buy one if I could!! Any one have one of this model ? Thanks for any help.

mike100860@yahoo.com

Is this, by chance, one of the RCA portable transistor sets that is used (optionally) with a charger-speaker accessory? The ones I'm thinking of have two holes in the back of the case for the charger pins to connect to. The batteries are either four size AA alkaline cells, or four Nicad size AA cells. The set is called :"RCA Transicharge"

Is this what your set uses? I don't recognize the numbers in the question.

No it uses tubes. This battery is a 2 volt wet battery that fits inside it. Has a vibarator for b power.It is brown portable? it is very heavy. Kind of like GE 250/260.

mike100860@yahoo.com

I have the GE 250 version and did find a NOS Willard 2-volt wet cell. But I elected to LEAVE it NOS and not add electrolyte. The radio can easily powered up by adding a high-capacity filter cap across the rectified charger output. I used a 7000uf 16 volt unit which was easily hidden inside the chassis and not visible. I also replaced the defective copper oxide rectifier in mine with a 5-amp 100 volt bridge rectifier. Again, not visible. The radio works on AC very well.

I figured that once I added electrolyte and charge the battery (which may or may not work!) I would then have to keep it charged forever. This way, I can leave that exercise to someone in the future.

Very unique radio!

Dave

Hi Dave Where did you find that battery? Maybe I can buy 1 for my RCA. I have a GE250 & GE260 neither 1 works. Mike

On eBay. I've seen several, but only one NOS. One hint: the seller may not list the battery in the RADIO categories! You may have to setup searches in several categories. You can leave the NOS or used (dry) battery in place, add the filter cap in its place, and run the set on AC. You may have to adjust the value of the capacitor so that the DC output is 2 volts under load. If the capacitor is too large the voltage will be too high. If too low, you will get vibrator hum. I also had to replace the rectifier in mine.