Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-10 chassis mount

When I received my 37-10, the chassis was only bound to the cabinet with some scrap 14 gauge wire. I didn't notice until my neighbor and I had carried it up 2 stories Icon_eek Luckily, no broken toes.

So, aside from the rubber shock absorbers, does anyone know how the chassis for a 37-10 is physically attached to the cabinet? I found this picture online which seems to show a single bolt in the middle of the back edge. Is that really all that holds it secure ?

[Image: http://www.bobandersen.com/images/37-10%20mount.JPG]

Thanks!

Bob

This set, along with all of the larger 1937 Philco chassis, were originally held in place with J-bolts; the "J" end was hooked over each of those four studs protruding from the sides of the chassis and then the bolt passed through the wooden support, secured on the other side of the wood with a washer and nut.

These J-bolts were only intended to be used in shipment; they were supposed to be removed when the set was installed in the customer's home, leaving the chassis supported only by that one small bolt you pictured. In this manner, the chassis could float freely on the gum washers surrounding the holes in the wood through which the J-bolts passed.

Occasionally, you find a large 1937 Philco console in which the chassis still has its J-bolts, but usually not. This is how I discovered that Philco used these - I once owned a 37-116 that still had its original J-bolts.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ah-ha. I was wondering if those studs were part of the puzzle. I'll try to dig up a suitable bolt and see if it helps. Currently, the chassis slides around a bit when cranking around that big tuning mechanism.

Once again I'm impressed with your knowledge of all things Philco!