Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My daily portable record player

I finally decided on which record player to make my daily driver for a while. (Well, two others died, making this one the choice be default!). My little RCA 45 player I had redone not overly long ago. While it is still a bit fussy, it is doing a lot better the more I play it. The downside is that it only plays 45s and since the platter is so small, it lacks the flywheel effect the bigger turntables have. Sometimes it will fluctuate a bit when something else in the house suddenly draws a decent amount of power on start-up, like the furnace. Other than that, it's the best sounding table/portable 45 player I've ever had. I can recall my buddy even saying that of this model and he's right! Kinda wonder if that has to do with RCA choosing to use octal tubes in this model whereas the rest of the table models I have seen use the smaller, seven pin tubes? Anyways, I have about as much money in this as I would have a new portable record player and it will probably last longer. Icon_biggrin  Now, to see what caused my two solid state GE record changers to foul up!  Icon_mad

No matter where you go, there you are.

Nipper would be happy, case looks in good shape too. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks, Paul. The handle has a small crack, but the case being in good condition is why I nabbed this for $20 last fall. Of course, it has about $150 worth of work and parts in it! Two rubber wheels that needed rebuilt, the cartridge needed replaced, and of course the recap on the amplifier. It's about $40 for each rebuilt wheel at VM now and I don't think that is counting the mailing cost of the parts both ways. Saved a bit of money by my buddy's shop having a good cartridge in stock that works quite well with this player. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.