Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capacitor Part Numbers

I am in the process of restoring a Philco radio/phono model #46-1201, code 121. Aside from having a heck of a time trying to find a code 121 schematic, I've also had trouble finding what the value of some of the capacitors are, using Philco's part number. On some of the capacitors, the values are written, on others the values are either missing or have faded and are not legible. I have been looking on this site and others for a listing of the codes, but have only found them up to the mid-30s. Does anybody know where I can find a listing for Philco's capacitor part numbers, which would tell me their values?
Thank you,
Microtouch

Hello Micro. Im not sure the exact differences between your code 122 Philco Mod 46-1201 and the code 121, but JF Riders ( vol # 15)has a schematic you could take a look at for the Philco 46-1201 (code 122) with parts values drawn on the schematic. The Riders pages covers this set extensively, even with a under-chassis view of parts locations. Perhaps this schematic will get you in the ballpark for your unknown parts values.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Pagesbymodel...013584.pdf

Thanks for the fast reply. I do infact have that schematic courtesy Nostalgiaair but it is for code 122. The difference being, that I see, is that the 121 has a different power supply and the speaker is elctrodynamic instead if the usual PM. I'm not too familiar with that type of circuit and thought it best to have the right schematic. So that's where I'm at right now. I'll send a pic when I get home today.

Microtouch

Hello Micro. As far as bypass-caps values, vintage tube Radios are very forgiving in exact values of uf's as long as same voltage-ratings are met or exceeded. If you have successfully replaced your B+ filter-caps with proper ratings, then you can usually go by any similar schematic ( with same tube lineup) and sub in necessary new by-pass caps ( to replace the old wax condensers/caps) without any major worries. As long as all your tubes filament voltages are close,monitored by your vtvm, & your HV plate Rectifier tube voltages are in the close ballpark voltage ratings for plates HV's,go ahead and sub your new bypass caps one at a time. Anytime a old field-coil type spkr is replaced with a pm type, ( if not original), a suitable size wirewound pwr resistor can be used following schematics. If your spkr is original, no worries! If you have a variac, keep it "fused" with a 1-amp fast blo fuse, protects your ac trans when repairing sets with a ac trans,or ac/dc type chassis & YOU too while servicing your set! Im really not sure the differences between your code 121 & code 122 chassis design, but replacing wax- bypass caps are very forgiving! Icon_wink

I'm going to begin delving into it using your sage advice. I found that I am able to glean information from the Philco Production Change manual as it keeps refering back to the 121 as it describes the changes. The original electrodynamic speaker is there and it is my intention to keep this set original. I ran out of time last night to take and send pics but I'll get that done this weekend. Thanks again.

Microtouch.

Update: A friend of mine put me onto a website called "samswebsite.com" and I found the proper schematic there. They are the Sam's Photofact people. They were very helpful.

Microtouch

Hello Micro! Glad to hear you found your exact schematic for your set! If you find many differences in orig Philcos wax caps uf values of the Sams schematic as (vs) the JF Riders schematics between codes 121 & 122, please post the uf differences here that you find. Thanks!! I will make notes for future reference.Some public libraries have the Sams schematics on file for buying a library card. Ive never needed those. Since all orig vintage by-pass wax-caps have a +/- 20% rating, I sometimes fly-by-the-seat of my pants instead of purchasing exact schematics. My bad! Does the Sams photofact-website have a picture of underchassis view? I have a full box of vintage Sams photofacts here somewhere in storage that I purchased from a closed-down Radio-TV shop several yrs ago, never needed to find em yet when JF Riders are in the house also. Best of luck recapping your Philco! All my vintage Philco collection sound great, Im sure you will highly enjoy yours also! Very glad to hear the Sams website folks were friendly trying to help you!! I will remember that. Icon_wink