Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39-30 dial face

gary rabbitt Wrote:HI Bob,
Too bad about the spray can ban, you mean no way can you get a spray can, that's crazy. Not even the arts and crafts store has paint? The little can when you do find it, will last a long time. Bright "gold plating" paint it just too bright it will not look right. High polished brass will not look right either.
The Plastikote 139S has sort of a satiny finish and duller, but still metallic looking just right for the dial frame.

I hope that the Valspar Plastikote 139S is worth it. I've been to Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, WalMart, Target, and Michael's in the past week. No one has had it and the brass finishes that they did have (I bought two) were way too gaudy. Despite having lived literally 250 yards from a Valspar plant for 10 years, I finally had to buy it on eBay and have it shipped from North Dakota. I hope this stuff hasn't been discontinued for future restorers' sakes!

I hope it's worth it too! I've been to most of those stores in the last two weeks searching for Deft gloss lacquer in a spray can. Home Depot dropped it and Ace only has semi-gloss Icon_confused I suppose there's always mail order, but then I might as well go with Mohawk.

Recently, I gave up on making my own plastic faceplate and ordered one here: http://jmpalm.home.mindspring.com/Inventory.htm
I haven't installed it yet, but it's a good fit and looks nice.

I also picked up a set of decals and plan on refinishing it after all Icon_smile